Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

strange shifting

Posted by Thelandofthedave 
strange shifting
August 28, 2014 12:22AM
So i have been printing trouble free for a few days. I have made no changes since switching to blue tape from Kapton. All of a sudden tonight I am having a new problem. This seems to be mainly in the Y axis but at one point it was the X axis. It will be printing along just fine and then i hear a loud jerking noise(or a grind perhaps) and there is a shift in the print. The last print i did was about 90 percent done and looking great then i heard the jerking sound. Looked over and the Y axis had shifted by about an inch. Could this be a belt issue? Power supply? The motors are running cool to the touch and I have set the stepper drivers at 1amp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2014 12:18AM by Thelandofthedave.
Re: strange jerk
August 28, 2014 08:13PM
think i found it. my y axis belt was super loose. Printing a somewhat large piece now so i will see if its fixed.
August 28, 2014 08:30PM
That didnt fix it......

Also got a Big shift in the X direction this time too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 08:32PM by Thelandofthedave.
August 28, 2014 08:46PM
checked my stepper drivers and they are still set where i set them last week. Belt is adjusted.
printint direct to blue tape with so no heated bed to draw too much current from my psu.
August 28, 2014 11:26PM
Here is what i have done tonight. No luck.... But.
I did find my ATX psu is not up to the task. Although it states 12V at 25A. Monitoring the input voltage while printing i see that when the extruder heats up that i drop to 11.48V. When the heater is not on i sit at about 11.43V.

Tried another PSU (not an atx) that is rated at 12V at 10A. Monitoring the input voltage while printing it drops to about 12.11V when the extruder is heating. reads about 12.26V when the extruder is not heating.

With the ATX my prints go out of whack right away. With the other PSU i seem to get a bit further. What baffles me is for the last week I have been printing just fine, since i stopped using the heated bed. Now with no changes I have run into this.
Re: strange shifting
August 29, 2014 12:51AM
Using the 10amp supply I managed to get one print. Not problem free but it finished. After the first layer I had a dramatic shift. Then it finished with no major problems after that. Was hoping to solve this before leaving town for the long weekend.
September 01, 2014 09:25PM
Picked up a new power supply. Printing fine now with none of the above problems. I am having problems with my first few layers being a bit funny. but im getting my glass tomorrow and will see if that takes care of that issue.
July 17, 2015 12:36PM
Can you post any picture of your prints?

Im having a similar shifting problem, it goes well for a while and then suddenly a shift on the X axis and keeps printing there.
I think is the baudrate, im trying to narrow it down.
July 20, 2015 02:52PM
Thelandofthedave
Picked up a new power supply. Printing fine now with none of the above problems. I am having problems with my first few layers being a bit funny. but im getting my glass tomorrow and will see if that takes care of that issue.

Hmm, I wonder if this might help me. I just purcahsed a 12v 30amp power supply from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7CWSCG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00)

I wonder if this will help in my situation . . . .

Which one did you get that worked for you?

Todd
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login