Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

20mm cube and calibration

Posted by Thelandofthedave 
20mm cube and calibration
August 16, 2014 11:52PM
Few things i think i need guidance on.
the 20 mm cube..... As you can see in the attached photo my first layers are something terrible and the bridging of the top is well just not really happening.
Could the first layers be a problem with the bed not being leveled properly? I would blame it on the heated bed not being heated as it is no longer heating. But i had the same problem when the bed was heating. Then there is that.... The bed has stopped heating. I will probably start a new thread on that if i dont fix it by next weekend.

Re: 20mm cube and calibration
August 17, 2014 01:40AM
I am assuming my stepper drivers are also really hot. The fan mount that came with my printer kit does not fit the fan they shipped. I am printing out brackets as i type this. They wont be pretty but they should be good enough to get this thing properly cooling so i can continue on calibrtating. I have found that the reason my bed will not heat up is due to the fuses over heating. If i blow compressed canned air over them the bed will start to heat up as they cool down.
Making progress. YAY.
My wife bought me this as a gift last xmas. I put it together right away then things in other parts of life took off and I could not touch it until just a couple of weeks ago. Stoke that it i am making some progress on this.
August 19, 2014 12:18AM
Your steppers shouldn't get much more than warm - maybe your motor current is too high from the driver chips.
If you bed is not perfectly level it should only really affect the first layer or two.
And yes, you need a fan blowing continuously across the Ramps board aimed at the fuses and the D8 mosfet (which should also have a heat-sink).
Check also, your extruder calibration.

August 19, 2014 01:24AM
Got the fan installed after i made this post. I created a new post regarding things that happened after that.
Thanks for pointing out the extruder calibration. I am going to double check that tomorrow as well as double check the current running through my driver chips. I managed to print up (poor quality....) a mount for my fan. It was after that when things really went sideways for me.
August 19, 2014 10:48PM
I realized this evening that when i calibrated the extruder i had calibrated it just before my large gear broke and my thermistor on my hot end was defective. I had not re calibrated it after replacing the hot end and the large gear. Im dialing it now and will try to run another print. My numbers were off significantly so I am hoping this will get things going again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login