Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't figure out how to mount JHead to Wade's extruder

Posted by Floriusin 
Can't figure out how to mount JHead to Wade's extruder
June 29, 2014 09:41AM
Hi, there.
I'm building my first 3D printer Prusa Mendel i2. And I bought this hotend: [www.ebay.co.uk] 0.35 mm. And now I have no idea how to mount it to my Wade's extruder. Can somebody help me? Thanks, before.
Re: Can't figure out how to mount JHead to Wade's extruder
June 29, 2014 01:46PM
I wouldn't mount it. Cheap ripoff hotends are a generally unreliable and cause a lot of problems.
[e3d-online.com] is a great, reliable hotend. Using the cheap one will probably cost more in wasted filament than paying the extra for a good one.
June 29, 2014 09:38PM
I'd give it a go, I started with a cheapo J-head and it worked fine. YMMV but try it before ditching it. Mine would probably still be working if I hadn't carelessly smashed the nozzle out of shape while adjusting the z homing.

If you've got the standard i2 extruder then you'll need a mounting plate something like this. I just hacked one up out of a bit of wood to start with and printed up a better one when I got the printer up and running. It goes between the extruder and the x carriage, and the hot end slots into it and sits up into the hole in the bottom of the extrude.

By all means invest in an E3D head any time, I've got one now and love it.
July 01, 2014 01:23AM
Ralph.Hilton
I wouldn't mount it. Cheap ripoff hotends are a generally unreliable and cause a lot of problems.
[e3d-online.com] is a great, reliable hotend. Using the cheap one will probably cost more in wasted filament than paying the extra for a good one.

Cheap rip-off? Isn't the j-head an open source design? They can't be any worse than those that many of us make in our sheds and garages and which serve us well. The E3D is a decent hot-end but it too has its issues.

July 01, 2014 02:56AM
This hotend is a bullsh*t

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog de GeeK: [www.zem.fr]
Reprap Prusa Mendel V2 pour 500€: [www.zem.fr]
July 01, 2014 08:03AM
waitaki
Cheap rip-off? Isn't the j-head an open source design? They can't be any worse than those that many of us make in our sheds and garages and which serve us well. The E3D is a decent hot-end but it too has its issues.

It may be an open-source design, but what may make it a cheap rip-off is whether they adhered to the design specifications during manufacture. Look here: [jheadnozzle.blogspot.com]

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login