Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help with Prusa i3 setup

Posted by MeOnToast 
Need help with Prusa i3 setup
June 26, 2014 03:20AM
Hey guys,
This may or may not be a commonly asked thing, but I can assure you've I've spent a fair bit of time researching about this before I asked!
So, I started my venture of making a Prusa i3 about 6 months ago... with a budget of about $400 tongue sticking out smiley (I've had to delay it a fair bit due to school-related things, but now it's holidays again!)
Anyways, this is the setup I've got: Prusa i3
As you can see, the Z-axis works fine as far as I can see, however EVERY other axis does not...
I'm using an Azteeg X3 as the controller board with Surestepr stepper drivers. The stepper motors I'm using are the 42BYGHM809 which I've noticed SOME users on this forum seem to be using.
I just can't seem to completely wrap my head around this... my configuration file is essentially this and I just can't seem to figure anything out sad smiley
I usually find myself to be alright with microcontrollers, so this is just personally disappointing for me. If anyone could please help me out with this (as it would be awesome to finally get this thing going) I will be extremely grateful for your support!
Thank you so much!

TL;DR: Only the Z-axis works on the Prusa i3
Re: Need help with Prusa i3 setup
June 26, 2014 08:13AM
My setup is not the same as yours, however, have you tried swapping the axis around to narrow down the problem? If you plug the X-Axis into the Z-Axis connection, does it work?

-Matt
June 26, 2014 02:59PM
check endstops they can make your motors play up i had one where wire came of and would only move like your x did

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
July 08, 2014 04:09AM
Hello again, guys!
Sorry for the delay, I got caught up doing some work...
Anyways, I followed your advice, Matt, and I got all the other steppers (except the Y-axis) working through the Z-axis output. I tried each stepper with its respective driver to make sure I didn't burn on out and they all seem fine, however it doesn't work in its own socket :/
The Y-axis is refusing to move backwards and only move forwards even when instructed to go forwards (I checked the wiring). How would I check the end stops? I tried pressing them in while the system was running and had no response. Is my code bad? Temp sensors work, bed heats up, extruder heats up, it's just the actual main component of mechanical motion that's failed me and it's so frustrating sad smiley
Any more suggestions? I'll be quick to reply next time, I swear!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2014 04:23AM by MeOnToast.
July 08, 2014 04:53PM
Start by making sure your end stops are working correctly. Send M119 to the printer and check the response, then trigger each end stop in turn, holding it down and sending M119 to the printer again. If the printer is not correctly reporting the triggering of the end stops, check the wiring and/or invert the end stop in the firmware as necessary. Do the latter if the printer is reporting an endstop as triggered when it isn't.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login