Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 w/ Melzi & NO instructions.

Posted by Taerzik 
Prusa i3 w/ Melzi & NO instructions.
June 26, 2014 12:03AM
Here's the short version:

My Prusa i3 is a chinese kit and arrived missing the instructions, parts list and software it was supposed to come with.
Following instructions from somewhere online for a different version of the i3 I managed to get all of the mechanical and frame components together in 3-4 days.
Now it's time to wire it up and get it working but I'm stumped.

Earlier I tried hooking the Melzi board to my laptop as per some instructions but, contrary to what the instructions said, it did not light up or respond in any way.
That has me a bit worried but I'm hoping something just isn't set right or something along those lines.

After that I figured on starting over with getting the power supply working.
I've hacked a US style cord (came with a euro style one) and I have it hooked up correctly and feeding power to the supply but I'm getting nothing off the V+ and V- points on the supply.
The supply is set for 110v
The model number is something like YU-360-12 but I couldn't find it when looking online.
As far as I can tell neither the power supply nor the melzi are responsive.

So... any ideas on where I should start with this monster or do I need to provide some more information first?

Any helpful advice much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 12:31PM by Taerzik.
Re: Prusa i3 w/ Melzi & NO instructions.
June 26, 2014 07:20PM
Re the Melzi, have you set the jumper to power from USB before plugging it into your computer? It won't respond otherwise. The pwr-sel jumper is about 20mm left of the CPU. Try it in both positions, but make sure the board's unplugged before you change the jumper settings.

If you've got the correct voltage selected on your PSU, it sounds like it may be dead. Does anything light up on it?

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
June 27, 2014 12:00AM
Thanks for the reply and advice 3DKarma!

What you told me about the power jumper on the Melzi makes sense. I just didn't know where to look. I hope that's the solution. I'll try to work on it tomorrow.

PSU - that's the term I couldn't remeber smiling smiley Yeah the LED on the PSU doesn't come on and I'm absolutely positive I did not fry it by hooking something up backwards.
Since it seems to be dead I'm going to ask them to send me a replacement and see if I can figure out what's wrong with this one. I hsould be able to find the defect or short but then again, I shouldn't have to :p

I emailed the dealer today and they sent me a PDF of the hardware assembly so there's hope for them yet. I've got some corretions to make but not too much.

EDIT:

The jumper pin was on vreg, not usb. When I switched it and plugged the board in the computer recognized a usb device on a com port. Still no lights and but at least it's not totally dead. I'll work on it next week.

The PSU remains DOA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 01:43PM by Taerzik.
June 27, 2014 08:35PM
We use the Melzi in our Mendel and Huxley kits. You could follow our wiring and commissioning instructions, which will roughly help you get your Melzi going. I'd use the main branch of Marlin [github.com] rather than ours, but apart from that it will be quite similar.

Wiring: [reprappro.com]
Commissioning: [reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 07, 2014 12:54PM
Thank you for the link droftarts! I am putting together my first i3 and also didn't find good wiring instructions. This should get me very close.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login