Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis motors spin too fast

Posted by fistsbs 
Z axis motors spin too fast
June 24, 2014 11:45AM
When the auto levelling has finished, The Z axis motors spin too fast and jam to drop the J head too correct hight before printed.

Please help

Printer: Prusa i3
FIRMWARE: Marlin_v1.1
North east,UK
Re: Z axis motors spin too fast
June 28, 2014 09:08AM
what do you mean the axis motor spin too fast?you can limit maximum z speed in firmware
July 08, 2014 11:43AM
video of problem

Printer: Prusa i3
FIRMWARE: Marlin_v1.1
North east,UK
July 08, 2014 04:47PM
Check the homing feed rate in the firmware. I;m not sure if this is the cause of your issue, but I'm assuming it's homing at this rate after auto-leveling.

#define HOMING_FEEDRATE {50*60, 50*60, 4*60, 0} // set the homing speeds (mm/min)

4*60, the default, is too fast for my i3. It works better at 3*60 (these are mm/min, so it's either 4 or 3 mm/sec).

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
July 09, 2014 10:40AM
mine used to do the same!
3 possible solutions:

1. slow down to max 3mm/sec movements in Firmware

2. adjust the voltage slightly. When I gave my Z-motors a little more voltage, they did not do this anymore

3. you may want to re-check if both sides are at exact! same height - measure with a caliper - (rather adjust for any imbalance via the bed )- because you do not want binding on the Z-axis linear rods. Some lubricant on the Z-axis`s threaded rods may also help quite a bit.

for me all 3 steps mentioned above did solve the issues permanently.

Alex

If you have a multimeter
set the Z-motors vref at about 0.85 - 0.95 I did adjust mine to 0.85 and motors are not even getting slightly warm.
July 10, 2014 07:37AM
reduce the maximum speed of z axis to 3mm/sec.
also reduce the homing speed, it is good while you debug the machine. in case of endstop failure the motor might be too fast and break things.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login