Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Help Needed] Z Motor Noise on Homing

Posted by mrpaulie 
[Help Needed] Z Motor Noise on Homing
June 09, 2014 07:41PM
Hey guys,

I have a Prusa i3 that I have just recently finished putting together. It's taken me since February, as I got the i3A from DIY Tech Shop and ended up spot-upgrading parts as things failed while being built. It's been a frustrating and time consuming process, but this past weekend I got everything assembled, wired, moving, extruding, lighting, melting, sticking, rotating, and everything else this little suckers are supposed to do. Everything runs fine and it is running very well, as far as I can tell. I have some very small calibration issues to fix before I can start printing for real, but I am putting it through its paces and everything seems to be coming out fine.

But I am having a strange issue, which is this: When I home the Z Axis, the right motor makes a weird noise. The machine does not make a noise when it is moving otherwise. It is the most eerily silent printer I have ever seen in all my time oggling them on the Youtubes and Wikis and such. But when I hit the Home button, it makes a funny noise. On one motor.

I am stumped. There was another thread that mentioned this once, and a lot of people had good suggestions before the guy said he figure it out and his coupler was too tigh against the motor. So I tried that and it's not too tight to the motor. Based on other suggestions in that thread I have done a lot of troubleshooting, so I know it is also not: too high of a movement speed (it seems to actually move slower than normal when homing), too much or too little power to the motor from the stepper driver (I'm running dual Z motors from the same stepper and the other one runs just fine and I have calibrated and recalibrated them until my fingers ached), the specific software I'm using (Pronterface and Repetier Host both encounter in the same issue), a bad motor (when I switch the right and left motors, the issue continues on the motor situated on the right side).

I am seriously stumped.

My machine is the Prusa i3A ramps with Marlin. It's got a reprapdiscount LCD I bought off eBay. It's got a very nice cold end I bought from a shop and had to rig up to mount because it was for a side by side config and I'm running top and bottom config X bars. The whole setupi involves lexan and box brackets and took forever. It's got knockoff Makerfarm v 1.4 endstops because the ones it came with had a meltdown in about .4 seconds after install.

Any ideas?
Re: [Help Needed] Z Motor Noise on Homing
June 09, 2014 08:04PM
I would check the wiring to that motor for a dodgy connection or a mis-wired connector.
If that's definitely ok, then try disconnecting both motors from their couplers and then running them - just to rule out anything mechanical

Click here to login