Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

extruder issues

Posted by EEstudent 
extruder issues
June 08, 2014 05:18PM
Hi,
I finished connecting all things I need< I successfully printed one layer but there are few issues to solve.
The ceramic resistor has been broken so I need to purchase new one, how about 12V 40W heater?
like this one:
[www.ebay.com]
I am also considering buying metal extruder, is it recommended? which one will fit gregs-wade extruder?
Thanks
Re: extruder issues
June 08, 2014 07:33PM
That's the type I use and I wouldn't consider going back to a regular resistor again. BTW, you can get them for US$2+ if you look around.

June 08, 2014 08:21PM
I stopped using resistors quite a while ago and never looked back.

Are you wanting a metal extruder or a metal hot end?
June 09, 2014 06:49AM
Thanks.
1. it seems more durable and reliable than a regular resistor, should I change anything in the firmware when I put the 12V 40W heater?
2. I want to replace only the hot-end to something more durable, i saw many all metall hot ends but not sure which version/brand to buy
i saw those ones:
[www.geeetech.com]
3. Another thing I am not sure about, the hobbed bolt for the extruder (the screw that push the filament), sould I press the plastic part hard on the filament? at the beginning it was fine but I think I pressed it so hard that the bolt became smooth which is not good.
the extruder i have is similar to this one:
[youtu.be]
i didn't have springs and long screws so I used zip tie instead, as I mentioned i think it was too tight and the bolt became smooth.
4. i got this thermistor:
[www.ebay.com]
what value i should choose in marlin firmware?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 07:20AM by EEstudent.
June 09, 2014 08:12PM
Hobbed bolt gone smooth already? What's it made out of? Cheese? I suggest you give it a good clean!
You could start by selecting "1" in firmware for your thermistor. Have you checked that it actually fits - it looks quite fat?

June 10, 2014 03:53AM
waitaki
Hobbed bolt gone smooth already? What's it made out of? Cheese? I suggest you give it a good clean!
You could start by selecting "1" in firmware for your thermistor. Have you checked that it actually fits - it looks quite fat?
It seems it is not the problem, I had to to do some research and testing to figure it out.
my j-head is not good anymore, it is either bad quality or I overheated it mistakenly.
anyway, j-head was jammed and thing melted inside , I've ordered new all metal j-head smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login