Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel i2 - Strange problems after wire came off mid print

Posted by drewby07 
Mendel i2 - Strange problems after wire came off mid print
May 30, 2014 01:15PM
Prusa Mendel i2
Sanguinololu board with pololu steppers

This morning I was starting a bed-level before printing. Heated bed and extruder were both heating up. Suddenly the printer stopped mid-move. I noticed the black negative wire from my power supply to the Sanguinololu had come loose from it's terminal screw.

After reconnecting the wire, the printer has been acting strange. First, I could not get repetier host to send any commands to the printer at all. Whatever I tried to do (move an axis, turn on the heat bed, etc) I would just see "5 commands waiting" at the top.

I reflashed my firmware and checked all wiring connections again. Now I can connect to the printer, but something is still wrong.

- The Z axis won't move at all.
- The heat bed and nozzle heater won't turn on
- the bed thermistor and nozzle thermistor are both reporting a temp of 0 when checked via M105.

I have ruled out a motor issue by swapping the plugs on the board, plugging the Z axis into another axis and it works fine.
I have ruled out the pololu by swapping it with another axis and it too works fine.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that somehow the wire coming loose caused a short somewhere in the board or in the Atmega chip?
Re: Mendel i2 - Strange problems after wire came off mid print
June 02, 2014 12:59PM
New development -

Today I removed the heated bed and discovered that my nozzle had pushed the PCB down and pinched one of the thermistor leads against a screw. Apparently this also had the effect of shorting the thermistor to the heated bed PCB. I've replaced the thermistor, insulated the scratched PCB trace with kapton and reconnected everything.

Now my Z axis is moving, my heaters are working, and temps are being displayed. Unfortunately, it seems that the short has done something to the bed temp reading, because no matter what I do it reads 50 degrees....heat bed on or not.

Did I fry something?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login