Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Want to print a new extruder for my Prusa i3 and E3D, suggestions?

Posted by CptanPanic 
Want to print a new extruder for my Prusa i3 and E3D, suggestions?
May 27, 2014 04:35PM
I have a DIYTechShop Prusa i3 Alpha, and just got a e3d hotend. Doesn't really fit, so I at least need to make an adapter. But I was wondering if there is a better option. What came with it is a Greg Wade's extruder with a slot cut out for the hotend, where the stock hotend slides in without a seperate piece that bolts on the bottom. I see various designs with herringbone gears, etc. And wonder if anyone had any suggestions? Or at least point me to a part that will allow me to mount the e3d to this extruder?

Thanks,
CP
Re: Want to print a new extruder for my Prusa i3 and E3D, suggestions?
May 28, 2014 12:09AM
The extruder that comes with the standard box-frame Prusa i3 parts on github (in here) mounts an E3D hotend just fine (I'm using it right now with my E3D). It's got nice herringbone gears, and the hot end mounts by just pushing it into the hole on the bottom and tapping in a couple of 3mm bolts into the front. They travel back through the mounting hole and into the groove in the hot end. You'll just need to make sure the holes that mound the extruder onto the x-carriage are in the right place, but there are options in the .scad files for various layouts
May 28, 2014 09:21AM
In the scad file for hotend_mount, the e3d would be a groovemount?
May 28, 2014 09:01PM
CptanPanic
In the scad file for hotend_mount, the e3d would be a groovemount?

I think it's j-head mount you want. This puts the screw holes into the front of the extruder.
May 29, 2014 06:32PM
There's a wade's with herringbone gears adapated specifically for the e3d over at thingiverse. I'm in the middle of printing it out to give it a whirl.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login