Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 box frame BOM error Y-axis?

Posted by jpt000 
Prusa i3 box frame BOM error Y-axis?
May 10, 2014 01:17PM
Hi all,
I've been assembling a box frame Prusa i3 following the BOM from [reprap.org]. The problem I was faced with (and apparently a couple of users in the forum found the same thing) is that with this setup the Y-axis doesn't allow the build plate to move all the way forward, losing about 1/3 of the build surface. I think the problem lies on the length of the Y-axis threaded and smooth rods - these should be about 100mm longer to allow to use the whole surface.
Am I right or just very distracted?
Thanks!

Ze
Re: Prusa i3 box frame BOM error Y-axis?
May 11, 2014 04:02AM
yep, the BOM on github has the y smooth rods at 405mm. When i made the box version last year, i had 410mm smoothrods which seemed good length.

I have seen some people put the motor on the front instead of the back which seems to gain a bit of space. If your using the wood y-carriage, you may be able to gain a little bit more space by moving the bearing holders in a little bit closer to center if they are hitting the y-corners?

Also, if your printing on glass then you do loose a bit of space as well if using the big clips so no need to get it right to the edges.
May 11, 2014 06:46AM
Yeah, I moved the bearings closer together and also cut out about 40mm of the frame to move the whole frame forward. The value for the smooth rod is actually 370mm. I think I might get some new smooth rods (and corresponding threaded rods).
Thanks!
May 13, 2014 11:51AM
Actually, I figured that just swapping the X-axis (keeping the linear bearings pointing forward) moved the nozzle right where it should be. In any case, for anyone planning a new build - go with longer rods for the Y-axis, even if just to have a little room to play with.
Cheers
June 16, 2014 08:48PM
Sorry to sort of necro post, but I built this same variation and I ran into this same problem.

Since I had already cut my threaded rods, I came up with a quick solution only involving the smooth rods.

I see you have moved the bearings closer together, which will give you the bulk of the room you need to play with.

What I did, in addition to that, since there still wasn't enough room to attach the endstop, was simply grind the end off of one of the rod holders and leave one of the smooth rods a little long.

I'm attaching a picture for reference. I hope it's helpful in the event of someone discovering the length problem a little late.
Attachments:
open | download - endstop.jpg (209.4 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login