Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bought kit, No instructions. Please help.

Posted by James_minion 
Bought kit, No instructions. Please help.
May 05, 2014 01:27PM
Hi all.

I've bought this kit off of ebay. But there are no instructions.

Ive managed to put it together using other prusa instructions. But not sure what to do next.

Its wired up. In pronterface only the + manual controls work. The - ones do nothing.

Could use a few pointers on how to config the software or what I should do next??

The board is a Melzi Board (Marlin Firmware pre-installed)

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 08:26PM by James_minion.
Re: Bought kit, No instructions. Please help.
May 05, 2014 02:40PM
Limit switches came wired backwards. Im sure ill be back soon for more help.

Cheers all
May 06, 2014 10:03AM
Are there any links to fine tuning? Done a test print. Its about 10% too small.

Cheers.
May 06, 2014 02:08PM
I need to update the Marlin firmware for the Melzi Board? But I cant find the i3 version.

Any ideas?
May 06, 2014 05:57PM
Re fine tuning: calibration guide.

Re firmware, latest is fine. The i3 doesn't require a different version.
May 07, 2014 01:51PM
Could you link me to the latest version? I have put one on, but I'm having a few problems with it.

Pressing print, it will either print normally or half the time send the Z up 10mm and start printing spaghetti.

Thanks
May 07, 2014 07:24PM
Firmware available on github. Wiki link here.

Z-axis going up 10mm and then printing spaghetti is caused by faulty wiring on the z-axis end stop. Normal behaviour when a print starts is to raise z-axis by 10mm and then home all axes before starting the print. If the printer doesn't home it thinks it's already home, which means that one or more of the end stops is not working. The fact it's not doing it every time probably means you've got a loose connection.
May 08, 2014 11:17AM
Thanks for your reply. Ill check it out. But i don't think it is the end stop trigger. If i press the manual z home button it works as expected. And only started to play up after i changed the firmware.
May 09, 2014 08:11AM
Not having much luck. Ive changed the switch and added the newest firmware. Not sure what else to check.

It seems to home fine every time when I press the home button. But when it comes to print it homes, the starts a print at say, between - 1mm and + 5mm of the home switch being pressed. Seemingly completely random points.

Any ideas or links would be great.

Thanks.
May 09, 2014 08:25AM
Okay, I think I have found the problem.

The Z motors aren't running in tandem when the print starts. The left more fires first and then the right. After the lift has stopped?!?! (When they're being controlled manually they always run together)

They're wired in series, can I wire them in parallel?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2014 08:59AM by James_minion.
May 09, 2014 11:49AM
I think the Z motors aren't getting enough juice, so theyre stalling in funny places.... causing the problem? Ill have a look tomorrow.

How do you set the current with a multimeter? and how much should it be for two in series or parallel? I know there is the pot on the board....

Thanks for looking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login