Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recommend an i3 x-carriage and extruder?

Posted by Opus 
Recommend an i3 x-carriage and extruder?
May 04, 2014 09:57PM
Hi,

I'm about to start printing parts for a box-frame Prusa i3 to replace my wobbly i2, and there seems to be a bit of confusion about which extruder goes with which x-carriage, as well as being a huge number of variations (3 bearings, 4 bearings on the carriage, normal or herringbone gears on the extruder?) both on github and thingiverse

I've got an E3D hot end which I'd like to use, and going for a geared extruder using the hobbed bolt seems like a good idea.

So, what are you favourite x-carriage/extruder combinations?

Cheers
Re: Recommend an i3 x-carriage and extruder?
June 01, 2014 10:20PM
What did you decide on?
June 02, 2014 09:24PM
In the end I went for the stock extruder/x-carriage on the github site for the i3. The extruder is fine (and fits the E3d well), but I think I might try a 4 bearing x-carriage at some stage. All the 8mm rod we get here is really 7.94mm and the bearings rattle around on them. I'm thinking adding another bearing might cut down on the amount of play.
June 03, 2014 02:36PM
My favorite extruder/x-carriage combo is the one designed by me smiling smiley The extruder can be also used with only direct drive for example. Then it allows easy future expansion.

[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
June 03, 2014 08:52PM
Opus
In the end I went for the stock extruder/x-carriage on the github site for the i3. The extruder is fine (and fits the E3d well), but I think I might try a 4 bearing x-carriage at some stage. All the 8mm rod we get here is really 7.94mm and the bearings rattle around on them. I'm thinking adding another bearing might cut down on the amount of play.

For the stock extruder, what extruder type did you set in scad file for e3d? groovemount?
June 03, 2014 09:05PM
CptanPanic
Opus

For the stock extruder, what extruder type did you set in scad file for e3d? groovemount?

Yep, groovemount. Two M3 machine screws tapped into the front of the extruder hold the hot end brilliantly, and make getting it on/off really easy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login