Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

issues in building box frame

Posted by EEstudent 
issues in building box frame
May 01, 2014 05:08AM
Hi,
i just started building the wooden box frame for prusa i3.
I am not sure how stable my frame is, It is home made so a spaces of 1mm could be found on many places which make it less stable.
will this problem be solved when I put everything together ? (extra weight might make it much more stable,I am not sure)
Another issue, motors alignment as shown in this photo:
[78.47.92.212]
I've tried my best to make it parallel to the floor,but again this is homemade and it is not accurate as much as i think it should be.
So far this is what I've done:
[www.dropbox.com]
Morad

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 05:12AM by EEstudent.
Re: issues in building box frame
May 01, 2014 01:35PM
Square the box to itself, not in relation to the floor or desktop. By that I mean get a carpenter's square , something like this [www.grainger.com] though depending on where you are in the world it may be from a different vendor. Use that square to construct the box making sure that the box is square. I'd also use wood glue in some of the joints as well.

A good alternative to a complete box is an sgraber type laser cut frame. [github.com] You can find them pretty inexpensively and it will be easier to build if you don't already have basic woodworking tools at your disposal.
May 01, 2014 03:44PM
Thanks you.
I already build the frame and looking forward completing the whole printer.
How critical are those issues?is it something I really have to worry about?
Morad
May 02, 2014 12:43AM
The frame and the attachment points have to be square enough with each other so the motion components don't bind when they travel. The box itself can be a bit askew though it's best to make it as square as possible. The part where there is little room for error is the relationship between the various parts/geometry of the machine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login