Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

i3 Magma problem

Posted by brandonr 
i3 Magma problem
April 27, 2014 12:42AM
I've got an issue with my Makerfarm i3 8" with the magma hotend. I only print ABS and when I print using .3mm layer height, everything comes out without a glitch, but when I try and print down at .2 or .1mm layers, I get jams every time at various levels in the same print.
Any ideas on why it would print fine at bigger layers but jam at lower? I know the magma should easily handle .2mm layers.
Thanks
Re: i3 Magma problem
April 27, 2014 09:58AM
Perhaps at those lower layer sizes, the plastic isn't being extruded as fast, giving it time to melt higher up in the hotend and causing a jam. Have you tried stepping up the print speed (perhaps using the LCD knob) when printing smaller layers?

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
April 27, 2014 03:29PM
Abu, thanks for the tip but it didn't work. I tried at 110% and 120% speeds and it still jams. I'm wondering if it's a filament issue. Would you think it could be the actual magma tip causing some issue? Or maybe my fan is losing life?
April 28, 2014 09:17PM
I just went from a magma on my makerfarm unit to an E3D hot end and the results are GREAT. I had a bad jam and the magma got messed up bad so I got the E3D and its great and I dont even have it dialed in yet.
April 28, 2014 10:33PM
Floyd
I just went from a magma on my makerfarm unit to an E3D hot end and the results are GREAT. I had a bad jam and the magma got messed up bad so I got the E3D and its great and I dont even have it dialed in yet.

Floyd, it's crazy but I just saw you sent a message here as I was shopping for a new magma. I'm very interested though... I found the E3Ds. Are they all about $80 anywhere you shop? Will it fit with the same Greg's Wade extruder? And same fan and mount location? Anything special to convert from magma to E3D? Also where did you find slic3r configs for it? Will the magma config work?
Thanks alot
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login