Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware Suggestion...

Posted by fraschizzato 
Firmware Suggestion...
April 24, 2014 01:02AM
Actually i'm running Sprinter on a Melzi Ardentissimo Board... I have a panelolu2 and a second melzi ardentissimo board (want to make a dual extruder printer).. During first test i've succesfully configured panelolu2 on the official marlin firmware... In the second test i've used the reprappro multimaterial firmware and it works with one melzi as master and the other as slave... The problem is: how to get a "full feature" firmware? I've searched for hours a firmware that works in master/slave mode and supports panelolu2, but nothing... Also tried to merge the two firmware but after many times i think that is impossible for me (every changes need other and other changes)... So, how can i solve that?
PS. I also have a SmartPanel (that can be an alternative to panelolu), technically it must work without modification in reprappro firmware but i haven't found a wiring diagram and pin assigment for the melzi board... Anyone knows where to find some example or guide?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2014 01:09AM by fraschizzato.
Re: Firmware Suggestion...
April 24, 2014 02:08PM
Hi Fraschizzato

From memory when designing the Panelolu2 one of the drivers for using I2C was to reduce the number or pins used in order to make a screen for Melzi. If the Smart controller uses a direct connection for all the LCD and encoder and SD card pins then it will probably need more pins that are available on the Melzi board expansion header.

The version of Marlin that RepRapPro modified to support two Melzi boards with serial communication between them is pretty specific to that job. I am not aware of anyone who has brought it up to date.
Looking at the pin outs:
[reprap.org]

There are pins that are used by both the communication between the Melzi master and slave, and for the Panelolu2. The Tx and Rx pins can be moved within the Panelolu2 config but the SCL pin is required for I2C communication so you would need to see if that pin could be changed to a different pin within the RepRapPro version of the Marlin firmware before investigating further about merging the two firmwares.

Cheers

Tony

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
April 24, 2014 06:01PM
Many thanks for that info.. probably i switch to ramps, for my project are more flexible... Maybe in future i will use melzi for a cnc...
April 24, 2014 06:05PM
If you already have the Panelolu2 then you can just email us to get an adaptor board for RAMPS.

Cheers

Tony

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
April 24, 2014 06:12PM
I will sell one of the two melzi with panelolu and adaptor to a friend... but i need only the ramps adapter for a full graphic lcd controller (12864 the one with ext1 and ext2)... You sell this adapter? I've found only full kit with display-cable-adapter...
April 24, 2014 06:21PM
No we dont do that one but email whoever you got it from, they should be able to help.
April 24, 2014 06:27PM
By schematics i've seen that is only a "pin ordener", so i will make a converter cable my own...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login