Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z-Axis Nut coming loose

Posted by mrstuky 
Z-Axis Nut coming loose
March 31, 2014 08:20PM
Hello so my Z axis crashed due to the bottom nut coming loose. I took it apart cleaned it oiled it and reinstalled it. An hour or so later the same thing happened. I checked and both sides were parallel to each other so I am not sure what the issue is. Please check the photo for reference.

Thanks!
Attachments:
open | download - Image1.jpg (412.7 KB)
open | download - Image2.jpg (437.6 KB)
Re: Z-Axis Nut coming loose
March 31, 2014 10:23PM
Looks like the axis is binding on one side?

April 01, 2014 04:06AM
It wasn't. Measurements were exact but for some reason the nut just came loose. I simply crazy glued the nut in place. The nut holder seems too large for this dam nut.
April 01, 2014 04:18AM
Next time so could you also cross tension 2 nuts.
This means that you have a extra nut in under the other and tension them together so they lock each other.

You could also use thread glue that fixes the nut but still is easy to get loose if you want and should be easy to find with any hard ware dealer.

We always did this on heavy duty machines at work smiling smiley
April 01, 2014 05:20PM
Um, won't that stop the nut from moving? The issue is the nut's coming out of the nut trap on the Z carriage. Cross tensioning and locktight are just going to fix the nut in place, which will be bad if you want the Z-axis to move.
April 03, 2014 02:54AM
mrstuky
It wasn't. Measurements were exact but for some reason the nut just came loose. I simply crazy glued the nut in place. The nut holder seems too large for this dam nut.

In that case something is seriously wrong with your X end - either the part is printed wrong or the nut is incorrect for the receptacle. Support nuts should fit like a glove not flop around

April 03, 2014 09:55AM
Do you have a spring beteen the the X-end and the top nut? the idea is to have tention between the top nut and the bottom nut to remove backlash and to ensure the bottom nut always stays in the x-end.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
April 06, 2014 04:39PM
SheldonE
Um, won't that stop the nut from moving? The issue is the nut's coming out of the nut trap on the Z carriage. Cross tensioning and locktight are just going to fix the nut in place, which will be bad if you want the Z-axis to move.
Yes you are right I whas probably tired and did not use my head as it whas under my arm that time smiling smiley
April 15, 2014 04:42PM
The first thing I did was fit the threaded rod into the power drill socket threaded a bold, held it with pliers and ran the drill forward up to the hilt then reversed the drill and back down the bolt went... I did that a few times at high speeds... oiled it and did it again. I didn't use that same bolt on the build, but it will clean any extra bur's you have and cut down on nicks that might be catching the bolt threads. I then used a strip of electrical tape around the nuts and jammed it in the socket. It provides quite a lot of resistance.

Last resort... Epoxy.... I'm not there yet... but I'm pretty sure it will hold long enough for the thread to wear in properly.

Also, one last thing, I ran into a situation where I grabbed the wrong bolts for the thread height so it was some tough turning and the inevitable stripping. Make sure you have the right bolts....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2014 04:45PM by f.larsen.

Larsen -

Click here to login