Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few newbie questions - at the calibration stage

Posted by Dodgey99 
A few newbie questions - at the calibration stage
March 29, 2014 03:29PM
Hi all - I'm building a Prusa i3. It's assembled and pretty much everything is checking out ok so far (after a LOT of confusion not realised that in Pronterface the XYZ arrows represent moving the head, not the base!)

Two questions that I just can't seem to find the answers to.

- I'm using a Sainsmart Ramps 1.4 with A4998 black stepper drivers. I've set them all to 1/16 micro steps as a) this seems best, b) I know all 3 jumpers are 1/16 - I don't know the other configurations and I just can't find it documented anywhere. i.e. where to put the jumpers for 1/8th etc. Anyone know where I can find this info?

- my Z axiz is as slow as a glacier - is this normal? Should I perhaps run it at 1/8 micro steps? - I have no idea what speed X Y or Z should move at - though judging by videos when people do auto bed levelling, my Z axis should be quicker?
Re: A few newbie questions - at the calibration stage
March 29, 2014 03:52PM
RAMPS info is is on the Wiki at [reprap.org]. Microstepping jumper configs are in the stepper driver section though it's a good idea to at least be familiar with the other parts of the board to aid in troubleshooting other potential issues.

[reprap.org]

The Z will be slower. That is normal. I'd suggest not being too concerned with what your printer looks like now compared to videos of other printers. Get it printing a few calibration parts and see how they look then start making adjustments from there. I'd also suggest becoming familiar with how stepper motors work particularly with regard to how microstepping works. I found it easier to learn once I got a working printer and building on the config and tuning once I was able to print.
March 29, 2014 04:19PM
Thanks for the link I'll have a read.

I'm familiar with steppers and drivers. I make projects with them. I just want to have an idea of what people set theirs at before I calibrate it all.
March 30, 2014 05:48PM
Just an update - once I put the correct figure in the steps per mm area, the Z axis sped up considerably
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login