Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3.. I am confused

Posted by EEstudent 
Prusa i3.. I am confused
March 26, 2014 05:41AM
I am just collecting the parts to build Prusa i3... it is not that simple the official documentation needs more work especially for people new to reprap.
1. Smooth Rods: in this link [reprap.org] 8mm smooth rods are used but in STL files [github.com] 10mm smooth rod is used.
what is the correct one? I already already have 8mm rods.
2. Extruder : [github.com] ... Greg's-Wade extruder is the same as Wade extruder? most of the kits use wade extruder not Greg's Wade extruder.
3. how do I know what exactly to print? to print STL files or to edit SCAD configuration then generate STL file (I don't like this option, I might do sever mistakes)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 05:43AM by EEstudent.
Re: Prusa i3.. I am confused
March 26, 2014 08:17AM
When you're given two different lengths, go with the longer one. If it's too long, you can cut it shorter. If you get the shorter one, and it's too short, you're screwed.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
March 26, 2014 08:33AM
AbuMaia
When you're given two different lengths, go with the longer one. If it's too long, you can cut it shorter. If you get the shorter one, and it's too short, you're screwed.
Diameter of smooth rods obviously can't be changed.(I will choose longer length and see how it goes)
March 26, 2014 10:08AM
1. The files can be generated for different rod sizes. A lot of kits use the 8mm as its cheaper and its the same rod used for the older Prusa's.
As for generating the files I presume you use OpenSCAD set your parameters then export to STL.
2. Greg's uses the same vitamins as Wade's only less of them. The original Wade's has 4 bolts (springs and washers) holding the idler, Greg's uses 2 (and one small one for the hinge). I disassembled my old Wade's and reused the parts in a Greg's and they all worked fine, plus I now have spares.
3. This is the list of parts I got printed for my Prusa i3 (boxed)

4 Y Axis Corner Blocks for M8
1 Y Axis Stepper Motor Mounting
1 Y Axis Belt Idler Mounting
1 Lower Left Z Axis Mounting Bracket
1 Lower Right Z Axis Mounting Bracket
1 Upper Right Z Axis Mounting Bracket
1 Upper Left Z Axis Mounting Bracket
1 X Axis Stepper Motor End Mounting for 8MM Smooth Rods
1 X Axis Idler Bearing End Mounting for 8MM Smooth Rods
1 X Axis Carriage Mounts for LM8UU
1 Y Axis Belt GRIP / Mounting for GT2 Belts
3 Y Axis Build Platform Bearing Mounts for LM8UU
3 End Stop Switch 8MM Mountings
4 Y Axis - 4 hole - 8MM Mounting Blocks

Hope this helps.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
March 26, 2014 10:58AM
Thank you very much it helps a lot! I will download the software for 3D printing and prepare STL files.
there is something i didn't completely understand, you've described the differences between Wade/Greg extruder, what is the extruder described in this file:
[github.com]
I haven't found any documentation for this extruder.

JoeDaStudd
1. The files can be generated for different rod sizes. A lot of kits use the 8mm as its cheaper and its the same rod used for the older Prusa's.
As for generating the files I presume you use OpenSCAD set your parameters then export to STL.
2. Greg's uses the same vitamins as Wade's only less of them. The original Wade's has 4 bolts (springs and washers) holding the idler, Greg's uses 2 (and one small one for the hinge). I disassembled my old Wade's and reused the parts in a Greg's and they all worked fine, plus I now have spares.
3. This is the list of parts I got printed for my Prusa i3 (boxed)

4 Y Axis Corner Blocks for M8
1 Y Axis Stepper Motor Mounting
1 Y Axis Belt Idler Mounting
1 Lower Left Z Axis Mounting Bracket
1 Lower Right Z Axis Mounting Bracket
1 Upper Right Z Axis Mounting Bracket
1 Upper Left Z Axis Mounting Bracket
1 X Axis Stepper Motor End Mounting for 8MM Smooth Rods
1 X Axis Idler Bearing End Mounting for 8MM Smooth Rods
1 X Axis Carriage Mounts for LM8UU
1 Y Axis Belt GRIP / Mounting for GT2 Belts
3 Y Axis Build Platform Bearing Mounts for LM8UU
3 End Stop Switch 8MM Mountings
4 Y Axis - 4 hole - 8MM Mounting Blocks

Hope this helps.
March 26, 2014 11:27AM
That's the Greg's extruder its got the hinge for the idler and is smaller then Wade's.

You you checkout thingiverse there is a Herringbone gear version of Greg's which is meant to be an upgrade to the standard gears. Looks nicer, but its a trickier print.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
March 26, 2014 02:39PM
Any recommendations for first extruder?
March 27, 2014 03:05AM
EEstudent
I am just collecting the parts to build Prusa i3... it is not that simple the official documentation needs more work especially for people new to reprap.
1. Smooth Rods: in this link [reprap.org] 8mm smooth rods are used but in STL files [github.com] 10mm smooth rod is used.
what is the correct one? I already already have 8mm rods.
2. Extruder : [github.com] ... Greg's-Wade extruder is the same as Wade extruder? most of the kits use wade extruder not Greg's Wade extruder.
3. how do I know what exactly to print? to print STL files or to edit SCAD configuration then generate STL file (I don't like this option, I might do sever mistakes)?

10mm smooth rods are not needed if you use a base board to hold the printer on. Use four metal cable clamps to hold the threaded rods down to the base board and you then have a very strong machine that also has it's own table. I use 16mm MDF for the baseboard and it make the machine so much better.

Here is a photo of the back of one of my machines that shows the baseboard

There have been many changes on this machine, you may or may not be interested, but if you are then let me know and I will post more photos of them.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
March 28, 2014 07:00AM
@regpye - how do you mount the fans to the sides of your x-carriage ? that's a really good solution
March 28, 2014 07:19AM
I redesigned the X ends completely, changed the M5 nut for M6, added the mounting brackets for the fans, added enclosed nuts where needed, added extra brackets for the cables and so forth.
I will take some more photos over the weekend of some other changes I have made to the fan setup to make it even better.

[regpye.com.au]
March 28, 2014 07:25AM
Those would really good to see, any plans for releasing the STLs ? colour scheme is cool too
March 28, 2014 07:36AM
eci22
Those would really good to see, any plans for releasing the STLs ? colour scheme is cool too

Still working on the final design, it will be available when it has been all tested and finalized. Will post more photos later after the weekend if I can get them done by then.

[regpye.com.au]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login