Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y End-stops not working, Marlin BUG ?

Posted by Haris2887 
Y End-stops not working, Marlin BUG ?
March 22, 2014 12:35AM
HI all...
I am having problems with my Y endstops from working .
My X and Z endstops work Perfectly. BUt Y does not . Apparently it is a bug for MAC but i am using WIndows 8.1.

When I home (in Pronterface Here) in the Y direction its as if the endstop is not even connected no response form the switch. Bed keeps moving when it hits the switch nothing happens and it keeps moving.
The same physical switch works on both the other axis.

Here is my Config.H settings.
// coarse Endstop Settings
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
  // fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
//#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS
//#define DISABLE_MIN_ENDSTOPS

// Disable max endstops for compatibility with endstop checking routine
#if defined(COREXY) && !defined(DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS)
  #define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS
#endif

// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
#define X_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Z_ENABLE_ON 0
#define E_ENABLE_ON 0 // For all extruders

// Disables axis when it's not being used.
#define DISABLE_X false
#define DISABLE_Y false
#define DISABLE_Z false
#define DISABLE_E false // For all extruders

#define INVERT_X_DIR true    // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false    // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true     // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_E0_DIR false   // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
#define INVERT_E1_DIR false    // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
#define INVERT_E2_DIR false   // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

I have read that this is a bug but i have no idea on how to fix it.
I have read the the pins are used for the Atmel mega 2560 (not sure what to do in that case)..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2014 12:46AM by Haris2887.
Re: Y End-stops not working, Marlin BUG ?
March 22, 2014 04:29PM
Are you sure the bed is even hitting the switch? I've had a similar problem on my Mendel Tricolour where the mount for the Y-Axis end stop gets loose, and gets pushed below where the bed assembly can hit it. Have you done a manual check of the end stop, and verified that it's wired correctly?
March 23, 2014 02:09AM
Where is this bug documented? I don't see it in either the Marlin or Printrun Github repos.
March 23, 2014 10:21AM
Hi when i press the endstop with my finger , nothing happens (no change when i send the M119 Command) .
Second post in this thread Here.

I thinks its a HW issue now. With ramps or Ardurino board. Not sure how to troubleshoot further ..
March 23, 2014 04:16PM
I asked about the bug because the host software (Printrun in this case) isn't responsible for endstop and electronic control of the machines. You send control commands from the interface but the heavy lifting is done by the hardware and firmware. There is not an issue documented in either repo. A Marlin issue wouldn't be platform specific as Marlin works at the printer control level.

Make sure you have the right board config flashed into the controller. The pins are designated in the pins.h file and if you pick the wrong board you may not have the right config loaded.

Make sure your switches are mechanically sound. Check for continuity at the switch, removed from the circuit. There should be continuity when the switch is normally closed (NC), activating the switch should interupt the circuit.

A mechanical switch will have two wires. Connect them to the "-" and "S" on the board. (some boards may use a different nominclature). If you are connecting a mechanical switch directly to the circuit you will need to configure pull up resistors in your firmware.

When you send the M119 with all of your switches connected it should return "open" for each axis. Activate one switch (any axis) and hold it while you issue the M119. That axis should return a "triggered" state. If that axis still shows "open" the switch logic needs to be changed in the firmware. If you invert the logic and it doesn't work, check your wiring by metering continutity as in the previous step only this time perform the measurement from the connector that plugs into the board (the plug connected to the wire, not the board). This means you will be testing the wire and switch only. This will tell if there is a mechanical issue, bad crimp, conteact not seating, etc. If that doesn't fix it you may have a bad board but keep in mind endstops are a switch loop so it could be a bad trace or perhaps a bad Atmel but I haven't seen any fail that way. It's usually something mechanical or config related.

Here's the page for mechanical switches. [reprap.org]
September 28, 2014 11:49AM
Haris2887
HI all...
I am having problems with my Y endstops from working .
My X and Z endstops work Perfectly. BUt Y does not . Apparently it is a bug for MAC but i am using WIndows 8.1.

[...]

#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

[/code]

I have read that this is a bug but i have no idea on how to fix it.
I have read the the pins are used for the Atmel mega 2560 (not sure what to do in that case)..

I had this exact problem by description; X and Z homed perfectly, but Y would not. M119 said the endstop was triggered, but movement of Y would not stop when manually engaging the switch.

Fix for me was to reload the Marlin firmware. I have no idea what was wrong, but reload fixed mine.

Just FYI for the next guy

- a -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login