Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building Prusa i3

Posted by Capinho 
Building Prusa i3
March 13, 2014 01:20PM
Hello everyone. Im completely new into this area, so some help would be appreciated. I want to build Prusa i3 but I have limited budget, so I will be building it from separate parts. This is the list I have currently made, please tell the parts I am missing.
I will build the frame and the rods myself, also I have Arduino UNO controller, which will be used to control the motors. What is more, I have all bearings and pulleys, so I will not add them here

Hothead: [www.reprapsource.com]
Extruder: [www.reprapsource.com]
Heatbed: [www.reprapsource.com]
Motors: 5x [www.reprapsource.com]
Printed parts: [www.reprapsource.com]

What essential parts I am missing? Thanks. winking smiley
Re: Building Prusa i3
March 13, 2014 04:31PM
Belts, endstops, a shield to plug into your Arduino such as RAMPS, stepper motor controllers to plug into your shield, a power source that produces adequate power, and of coarse the appropriate size filament to print with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 04:55PM by KingRahl.
March 14, 2014 02:48AM
Thank you very much, i will look forward to buying these parts.
March 14, 2014 07:56AM
Double check you can use your UNO with any of the electronics shields, I think RAMPS is Mega only.
On top of what KingRahl said you'll need glass for the printbed, crimps and housings for the wiring cable ties and Kapton tape (for the hotend and print bed)

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
March 14, 2014 07:56AM
I don't think the Arduino Uno has enough flash memory for the firmware you need. Marlin takes around 64k and the Uno only has 32k.
The hotend looks a bit expensive - I would check around more.
The extruder needs a hobbed bolt.
The printed parts don't look correct if you are making a frame yourself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 08:06AM by Ralph.Hilton.
March 14, 2014 08:39AM
Ralph.Hilton
I don't think the Arduino Uno has enough flash memory for the firmware you need. Marlin takes around 64k and the Uno only has 32k.
The hotend looks a bit expensive - I would check around more.
The extruder needs a hobbed bolt.
The printed parts don't look correct if you are making a frame yourself.
Thank You very much for helping me out. About the printed parts, as I know, there are two types of frames: Box and Single plate, so the printed parts are different on each other?

Does anyone know reasonable price vendors in Europe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 08:46AM by Capinho.
March 14, 2014 12:40PM
Yes. I have a Mendel90 myself so my data on the i3 is from my reading up 8 months ago when I decided that the Mendel90 looked like a better machine to go with.
The printed parts you listed appear to fit with the aluminium sheet they supply but that is expensive.
A quick check on ebay shows this:
[www.ebay.de]
Please get another opinion as to whether or not that is the version you need though.
From what I recall there are just the 2 versions of the printed parts but I may be wrong.
March 14, 2014 07:23PM
Ralph.Hilton
Yes. I have a Mendel90 myself so my data on the i3 is from my reading up 8 months ago when I decided that the Mendel90 looked like a better machine to go with.
The printed parts you listed appear to fit with the aluminium sheet they supply but that is expensive.
A quick check on ebay shows this:
[www.ebay.de]
Please get another opinion as to whether or not that is the version you need though.
From what I recall there are just the 2 versions of the printed parts but I may be wrong.

Thanks. Now the question about the extruder. In order to make it work, i need 3d printed parts, the hothead, thermistor and stepper to drive it. What am I missing?
March 15, 2014 09:32AM
Various other hardware bits as in [www.reprapsource.com] - they sell printed parts to match.
This is a nice hotend - slightly more expensive but well worth it in my opinion. It comes with a thermistor and heater. [e3d-online.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 09:35AM by Ralph.Hilton.
March 15, 2014 01:16PM
The cheapest two places I can find complete Prusa i3 kits are www.diytechshop.com and www.3dprinterczar. Sourcing the parts can be very time consuming and you might run into compatibility issues.
April 10, 2014 02:48PM
I have been able to source almost everything for my printers from a local place around me called Creative Shift Workshop. A few things I got from Home Depot, and I sourced the plastic parts.

Try it out.
http://www.creativeshiftworkshop.com/
April 10, 2014 03:50PM
Ralph.Hilton

Teacup firmware counts in at 14k with a low feature set and 21k full featured. Has all the neccessary commands, too, and is even faster.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

April 11, 2014 06:34AM
You can't use an Uno. You need a Mega.

Your list: (sorry it's in £)

Hot end - all prices. Ebay J-Head is £25, E3D is £55 direct (just ordered one!)
Motors are expensive. I'd expect to pay no more than £10 each for 5

I'd consider buying all your electrics in one go. I bought this: [www.ebay.co.uk]

There will be an EU equivalent. It came with everything and saved a lot of little orders and messing around. (Having an external LCD and SD card slot is great. Once you are comfortable with printing you can just chuck files on an SD card and print)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login