Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot end

Posted by Creted3d 
Hot end
March 10, 2014 08:32PM
Hi,
I would like build A Prusa i3.
But , i have a problem for choice the Hot end.
I have find this:
[www.ebay.com]
Is good?
Do you have any other suggestions for me?
Cordialy ,
Re: Hot end
March 10, 2014 09:18PM
That hot end looks nice, probably named "MG" after the hot end it is modeled after: [www.makergear.com]
If it is well made, it should work well. The most popular hot end of that type is probably the hotends.com J Head: [hotends.com] (don't buy a knock-off J Head!)

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 11, 2014 11:31AM
Ok thank you, and what do you think of this?
[www.ebay.com]
Is good?
Cordialy ,
March 11, 2014 11:56AM
Creted3d
Ok thank you, and what do you think of this?
[www.ebay.com]
Is good?
Cordialy ,
That is a knock-off J Head. Do not buy it, especially if you plan to print with PLA. See: [jheadnozzle.blogspot.com]

If you want a J Head, buy from the source: hotends.com. MakerFarm is also a good source.
E3D hot ends are popular, though a bit more expensive and bulky.
MakerGear makes good stuff too, I have one of their older hot ends and it works great.

March 12, 2014 08:58PM
Be careful with MakerFarm jheads, they have a little cylindrical extension to the nozzle that likes to plow up soft plastic and get snagged on globs.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
March 14, 2014 08:16PM
Hi , thanks for your Reply!
Please can you help me to make a classification of Hot end . This for help to my choice! 1 Best , 2 ,3 ,4 ...(The best at the lowest)

[www.hotends.com]

[www.reprap.cn]

[e3d-online.com]

[3d-industries.myshopify.com]

[www.makergear.com]

[www.robotdigg.com]

Cordialy ,
March 15, 2014 02:35AM
Creted3d
[www.hotends.com]

[www.reprap.cn] Do not buy. Likely poor quality.

[e3d-online.com]

[3d-industries.myshopify.com]

[www.makergear.com]

[www.robotdigg.com] Unknown quality.
Other than the two sources that I marked, any of those choices would work well. All are high quality and known to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 02:36AM by NewPerfection.

March 15, 2014 01:22PM
Hello!
Thanks For your reply !
A friend told me this [www.makergear.com] is not well cooled. Is right?
I have a questions:
What is the différence with : [3d-industries.myshopify.com] and [e3d-online.com] ?
[e3d-online.com] is better than [www.hotends.com]
What is the best?
Thanks ,
March 18, 2014 07:55AM
Ok now , I have choice!
What is the best E3D-v5 or MkV?
March 18, 2014 10:16AM
I print with 1.75 filament PLA "

What is the best E3D-v5 or MkV?
is a close one to call "for me at least". The mkV jhead gives better support for the prints, but the E3D will let you use any filament on the market. so if you only gonna use PLA the mkV wins.. you want future proofing then its the E3D.
March 18, 2014 03:10PM
I second the E3D hotend.. thing ROCKS!
March 22, 2014 05:29AM
Ok but , in the E3D

I can change the nozzle is not better?
March 24, 2014 06:28PM
March 25, 2014 05:42AM

I can change the nozzle is not better?
doesn,t make alot sense to me but the E3D have varies size nozzle you can change .25 fine details . .6 for brick work.
March 29, 2014 02:05AM
AbuMaia
Be careful with MakerFarm jheads, they have a little cylindrical extension to the nozzle that likes to plow up soft plastic and get snagged on globs.

I will second that sentiment, especially for the Prusa i3, or any setup with X-axis rods aligned vertically. The problem is exacerbated on the Prusa i3 because when the Y axis (bed) is moving from front to back, and the tip gets snagged on a blob or a lifting overhang, the nozzle will be drawn downwards, because the nozzle is in front of the rods where it's mounted, and the hot-end is attached at or above the middle of the carriage. So it forms a lever. If you get a hot-end with a nice rounded or V-shaped nozzle and no nipple on the end you can avoid this problem, because even if the nozzle runs into a blob or a lifting overhang, the V or rounded shape encourages the nozzle to move upward and to not snag. I have been using a nozzle with a protrusion on the end for many months, and it has ruined several prints because of this leverage issue. It rarely gets snagged when moving left-right on the X axis, and never when moving the Y bed from back to front. Every time it has fatally snagged, it's been while the bed is moving from front to back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2014 02:06AM by Thinkyhead.

|
| Lead Developer of Marlin Firmware
| Help support my work at Patreon and Elsewhere.
|
April 24, 2014 04:32PM
I just got MakerFarm's JHead and I've been having crazy snagging and globbing up problems. Any suggestion for how to avoid/fix it? Any reason I couldn't put a replacement nozzle on it?

Thanks!
April 24, 2014 09:24PM
Until you get another nozzle, adjust your nozzle height above the print bed, and your extrusion rate. Once you get these dialed in, there won't be the excess plastic getting plowed up by the nozzle, and no more globs. Snags might still happen, especially on overhangs if the plastic cools too fast and curls up into the path of the nozzle.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
April 25, 2014 12:29PM
Thanks!
April 27, 2014 12:09AM
I am in the same situation...
As suggested my options are either E3D-v5 HotEnd vs Aluhotend V5

Anyone have any experience with the Aluhotend v5 ?
Video Review
Although the Aluhead has a PTFE liner in it so the upper temp limit is 245 Degrees Celsius . compared to the 400 Degrees of the E3d.

And my other thing I want to know is about extruder.
I currently have a Gregs extruder and I am not sure if i should stick to it or change to a Bowden setup. I have been having issues with gregs extruder since day one with the filament slipping etc, probably because of my cheap Chinese clone hotend. Just want to know what extruders you guys are using ? I am printing PLA with 1.75MM filament...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2014 12:12AM by Haris2887.
April 27, 2014 09:55AM
I've had no problems with my J-Head and Greg's extruder I got from MakerFarm, other than the nozzle snagging as mentioned before. I run 1.75 ABS through it. Though I do want to try a bowden setup at some point. I also intend to upgrade to an E3D hotend shortly. I feel it may help with some of my print issues (cracks, warps, etc).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2014 09:55AM by AbuMaia.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
April 28, 2014 08:10AM
I started with the J-Head Mkv 0.35mm on my i3. It worked well at 1st, then it started to clog. During a clean out I ruined the nozzle, which meant a £12 replacement aluminium hot end.

As well as repairing it, I replaced it with a E3D head with a .4mm nozzle. I did this as I wanted easy-to-change nozzles.

It has printed flawlessly and not blocked once since purchase. I now have a perfectly good Mkv sitting idle as I am more than happy with the E3D. I also love the fact I can print at any temperature without worrying about melting my extruder,.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 08:11AM by Dodgey99.
Anonymous User
March 15, 2015 11:52PM
Hello
I want to know why reprap.cn quality is poor. You used them for? Thank you.
Best regards
jojo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login