Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Embedded Slic3r in Pronterface FAULTY

Posted by bri857 
Embedded Slic3r in Pronterface FAULTY
March 10, 2014 02:33PM
My first 3D printer build is a Czar Prusa I3.

Having finished the build I found the layers were not sticking together.
After many hours (and emails) I realised that changing the layer height did not change the number of layers.
Using the Slic3r as an external programme and using the output Gcode file in Pronterface has solved the problem. The embedded Slic3r always produced layers 0.4mm whatever the settings.

I conclude that there is a problem with using the embedded Slic3r V0.9.10b.

I pass this on in the hope it will save other people wasting time with the same problem.

A problem also exists with the Slic3r V1.0.0RC2.
I have used the 20mm-box.stl to test my printer, but it is reported as 23.5mm although it prints the correct size.

Any solutions?
Re: Embedded Slic3r in Pronterface FAULTY
March 10, 2014 04:20PM
Interesting find. Thanks for the heads up

I can't get top 3 layers to print solid, maybe this is why.

Wonder if it has something to do with where the .ini file is stored. I couldn't find the .ini file that is being followed by default.
March 10, 2014 04:24PM
Maybe an upgrade for Pronterface to include Slic3r V1.0.0RC2.
March 10, 2014 04:37PM
Slic3r is not embedded in pronterface. It is a separately running program invoked from within pronterface. You can run it directly without using pronterface by just navigating to the directory and launching the executable there.. You can also make pronterface point to ANY version of slic3r that you have installed somewhere else.

To use slic3r from within pronterface, or from within ANY program, you need to know a bit about how slic3r manages its settings. You also need to know how your host program (pronterface) constructs the slic3r command line and what parameters it passes through. To my best recollection, pronterface uses a single config file for slic3r - not the 3 separate files for print, printer, and filament. To save a set of settings from within slic3r to use from pronterface you must export your settings into a file, and then you must tell pronterface to use that file when it "calls" slic3r. Most people just have a single file (e.g. config.ini) that they use for this purpose. They put this file name (with the full path name) on the slic3r command line within the pronterface settings, and then they save their settings from slic3r into this same file location.

The file is stored where YOU want to store it. You just need to navigate to the right place in slic3r when you are saving the file, and then you need to specify the complete path and filename in the pronterface settings.
March 10, 2014 06:09PM
I know the ponterface options lists this

slice command ------ Slic3r/slic3r.exe $s --output $o
Slicer Options command ------ Slic3r/slic3r.exe

I understand the Slicer options command, but I don't understand the slicecommand.

I'm assuming it is going to the config file, but there is no .ini file there. Sounds like I should save the Slic3r settings at that location!
March 10, 2014 07:19PM
The slice command is the command that actually does the slicing. The slice options command brings up the slic3r user interface so that you can change settings.

I'm not using pronterface anymore, so I'm not 100% sure of this, but it's concerning that the slice command does not specify a settings file. I assume this means that it uses default settings, but I'm not sure how you'd save
"default" settings from within slic3r. Back when I was using pronterface, I would export my settings into a file - I used to name if config.ini. And then I pulled that file in on the command line using --load "\config.ini".
March 10, 2014 08:38PM
Thank you Sjerguy or the information.

I have replaced the Slic3r folder (included in the Pronterface zip) within the Pronterface folder, with the later Slic3r V1.0.0RC version. This does not fix the problem as the layer height remains fixed at 0.4mm.
March 10, 2014 09:46PM
Sounds like a configuration file problem. Try deleting the config.ini file.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 12, 2014 04:41AM
I have tried several config.ini files, import/export, no difference. I have one from Czar for PLA.
The external program and the embedded Slic3r are identical (copies).
External one works OK, embedded continues to slice at 0.4mm.
March 12, 2014 04:54AM
I have an apology to make as I have found I was not saving settings after changing the Slic3r.
All is OK now.

It is my first build and I am a NOOB so please forgive me for my mistake.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login