Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

extruder/print problems

Posted by romon 
extruder/print problems
March 08, 2014 02:30PM
Still not getting the printer to print.

Im using Marlin, Sli3r,Pronterface.
Seem like I have the steps set right in Marlin.
Printing ABS 3mm filiment, nozzle 0.5mm.
K type extruder,w/Jhead,direct drive.

E steps.

151.57X30=4547.1/29.89=152.12
152.12X30=4563.60/29.27=155.91
155.91X30=4677.30/29.95=156.17
156.17X30=4685.1/29.98=156.27
156.27X30=4688.1/30.55=153.45

Always a varation, in mesurements ?
So close right?
When I go to pronterface and try to extrude everything seems to be ok. Filiment will come out of the nozzel.
Im not for shure what the extrude/reverse settings should be? default is 5mm@300mm/min?

Go to try to print, load the 20mm test cube and hit print and the printer locks and after a good pause will start to print, looks like all axis are moving correct for the print and the extruder motor is turning but no filiment will come out.

I think that I have sli3r setting right, but Im new at this and still think that is operator error more than anything big.
So I have no clue, everything seems to be ok, but will not extrude filiment when trying to print.

Any and all help needed.

Thanks.
Re: extruder/print problems
March 08, 2014 08:02PM
Do you have the "skirt" function set in Slic3r? You need at least 4 or 5 loops when printing something that small to give the extruder a chance to prime itself.

March 08, 2014 11:24PM
Ok in the skirt settings

Loops set to 1
Distance from object set to 6
Skirt height set to 1
Minimum extrusion length set to 10

Still no extrusion during print.

I dont men too little or too much, I mean no extrusion at all.
If I try to print the 20mm test cube it will go threw all the moves but no extrusion of filiment at all.
I will let it run until its tryed to print 5 to 10 layer and no extrusion at all.
Also Ive noticed that after I start to print and the controls lock that the hotend temp will drop form 230 down to 200 and the print will not start until the temp drops to the new setting. So maybe the hotend temp is not hot enough to melt the filiment so it will extrude? And I have not clue why the the hotend temp resets to a lower temp at the start of the print.
March 09, 2014 07:09AM
What temps have you set it to in Slicr3 ("filament setting", "temp")

March 09, 2014 01:24PM
Was checking things out this morning, It will only extrude when using the extrude button in pronterface. Whenever I try to print something the pronterface will lock and change the temp settings from 230 to 200 and then the print will continue as normal, but will not extrude, too low a temp for the extruder to melt the filiment. Ive checked the temps in
sli3r and marlin and they all look ok. But Im thinking that after I changed the settings and save in sli3r {several times} that for some reason pronterface is still loading the defalt
settings or one of the saved settings file from before I had the settings right. When I go to the sli3r tab in pronterface in the dropdown tabs one for print, filiment and printer settings each one of these have one of the saved files from when I made changes asosated with one of them. And I cannot as of yet find where sli3r save the files. How can I delete all the saved files to get pronterface to load the correct settings for print? Might try to uninstall the pronter sli3r software and start over. So it looks more like a software
problem.
March 09, 2014 07:24PM
Well got the temp drop problem taken care of. Was the temp settings in sli3r. But still no extrusion. So maybe feedrate? Recheck the steps? Bang head aginst the wall?
March 10, 2014 01:39AM
As I said previously, you need 4 or 5 loops set in the skirt function for a small part.

March 10, 2014 06:58PM
Ive set the skirt to 6 and nothing.
I checked that filiment will feed into the hotend, and it will until it bottoms out.
Im set up to run ABS in the hotend so I started at 230, and have tryed it at 240 and 250, nothing.
Ive taken it apart and cleaned it out nothing.
I was looking at the extruder and it looks like the filiment guide/ toothed wheel and bearing, dont quite line up with the hole in the top of the hotend.
When I load filiment into the extruder I have to use a knife to cut the end of the filiment to a point to make it go into the hotend.
Will take it apart and clean it and try to make shure that everything lines up better.
If nothing else I have parts on order to put together another extruder {Wade type}.
Could of been printing a month ago if it wasent for this problem.

Thanks all for the help.
March 11, 2014 03:32AM
Start Pronterface, heat your hot end to 235C and set the "extrude" box to 100mm - leave the other box at 300mm/min. When temp is reached, press "extrude". You should get a continuous flow of plastic without any stalling.

What does it do?

March 11, 2014 09:57PM
Did as you said and only got about a quarter inch of extrusion. I have been able to get some filiment to extrude but whenever I go to print nothing. I still think that its a softwre problem or more than likely me problem. All hardware looks to be ok and works ok? Exsept extruder not extruding right.
A short rundown of how I installed my software firmware to printer.
Installed arduino wrote to printer
Installed Marlin edited for my hardware wrote to printer.
Installed Pronterface connected to printer.
Installed Sli3r with proterface set up to my printer.
Downloaded the 20mm test cube ran threw sli3r to pronterface go to print and everything seems to work like it should but will not extruder anything.

Havent given up

Thanks for the help.

A
March 11, 2014 11:16PM
Ok, here you can try this assuming you have ramps 1.4/marlin

the following will allow you to physically test the extruder/filament/hobbedbolt to ensure the physical stuff is working

modify your firmware like this find this line
#define PREVENT_DANGEROUS_EXTRUDE
comment it out by adding two slashes in front
//#define PREVENT_DANGEROUS_EXTRUDE

then reload the firmware

then remove the hot end

then run pronterface
connect
then under the extrude button select 100mm at 50mm/min

then click extrude

your extruder gears should start to turn and you should extrude more or less 100mm
Let us know if this works or not

IMPORTANT you must put the following line back the way it was originally and RELOAD the firmware, when you are done with this test
#define PREVENT_DANGEROUS_EXTRUDE

otherwise you could ruin your hotend
If this works we know the entire extruder assembly and physical is good then we are only left with hotend and slicing
Good Luck
March 12, 2014 10:46PM
Ok try this and couldnt get the extruder motor to turn at all and none of the other motors would work as well. Error message M999 ? And something about the printer being shut down for low temp. I can get the motor to turn and feed filiment in pronterface, Was able to set steps in Marlin, tell it to extrude 30mm and it would move close to 30mm. I can get it to extrude a little bit of plastic from nozzle when not trying to print using pronterface butt very little compared to how much the motor turns and the toothed gear will chew a
notch in the filiment trying to feed it into the hotend, it seems to be trying to feed in filiment faster than it can melt and extrude it. But what do I know ive never been able to print anything at all so I have nothing to compare right wrong or whatever, just trying to explain what going on with no knowlage of whats what. But Im thinking it is most likely a
software setting issue more than anything?

Well will try something else tomarrow.

Thanks.
March 13, 2014 08:05AM
"And something about the printer being shut down for low temp."

Sounds like #define PREVENT_DANGEROUS_EXTRUDE wasn't disabled.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
March 15, 2014 01:11PM
Problem solved, did my first print today.

After working on this problem for over a month, I knew that it was one of three possable problems.
1. extruder/hotend.
2. software/settings.
3.ME.

Got to looking at the Temperature sensor settings.

Had the old settings at,

# define TEMP_SENSOR_0 55
# define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
# define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
# define TEMP_SENSOR_BED_51

Changed setting for sensor 0 from 55 to 5.
Problem solved.
Both setting are for a Jhead type hotend.
So it looks like the problem was both software/settings and ME, mostly me.

Thanks to everone who helped.

Theres allways a answer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login