Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 - Reinforced or not?

Posted by Jorpy 
Prusa i3 - Reinforced or not?
March 02, 2014 06:45AM
Hi!
I'm planning on bying this Prusa i3 mechanical kit from 3D Labtek
But i can't really decided whether it's worth to fork out an extra 28 € to get the reinforced version.
I guess it does make the printer more rigid, but is there really such a big difference?

Also, what is the advantage of this aluminium X carriage? Isn't the normal printed carrige strong enough?
Re: Prusa i3 - Reinforced or not?
March 03, 2014 05:40AM
Believe me, stability is the cornerstone of any printer!

March 03, 2014 12:18PM
If you are worried about a high print quality then I would shell out the extra dough for the reinforcing kit. The more rigid you can make the frame and the areas that move back and forth the better your parts will turn out. If the extruder can wiggle around due to a weak base/frame then the parts are going to show that. Also, when homing things like the Z axis, you are going to want everything to stay put so that you wont have to continually home it and you will have that added peace of mind knowing that your Z axis is within a certain distance no matter where it is at on the heatbed. I cant see you having that peace of mind with a sloppy frame that moves and flexes.
Re: Prusa i3 - Reinforced or not?
March 04, 2014 04:08PM
Thanks for the answers guys! I think I'll just get the reinforced version while I'm at it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login