Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Mendel Melzi firmware 'ready to use'?

Posted by Mr Joshua 
Prusa Mendel Melzi firmware 'ready to use'?
March 01, 2014 12:52PM
Hi guys

This might be a silly question but I'm wondering if there is anywhere that I can get a 'ready to go' firmware for a prusa mendel (using a Melzi board specifically, not RAMPS), ie that doesn't need a load of setting up doing in the config file?
Failing that, if there's a step my step guide on what settings need changing in a generic sprinter or marlin firmware to suit this build that would be great, along with details of what must be positioned where when starting the machine and so on?

I think the trouble I'm having to an extent is a slight bit of information overload from loads of different sites I've been reading, resulting in me not quite getting my machine where it needs to be as I'm probably seeing the same info several times but missing important points I need to address.

For instance, I'm pretty sure I just need the firmware config setting up correctly and my machine will be useable. I know it can power all the steppers (both ways) when it 'wants' to, but the responses to manual inputs seem erratic, and I know it's because I haven't set it up correctly but am getting confused about just what needs doing.

Example - I thought I had problems with the x Axis not working correctly, until I turned the power off, pushed the carriage over fully to one side, then powered up again. I then found it behaved ok, so I think it's all the details in respect of which end the stops are at, where the 'home' positions are (on the stops? Opposite ends to the stops?) and where everything must be when it powers up etc?

Sorry if this is a bit rambling but I seem to be sending myself round in circles to a degree so am looking for a little direction the right way since I think I'm being stupid.

So I think a good start point would be if I can get a firmware for a melzi driven prusa mendel, which is already set up in the config file, I'd be really grateful.

This is the machine I've built (or rather finished building as I bought it part built from a friend who already has one bought from this same source):
[www.ebay.co.uk]

Physical setup:
I have an additional dumb question. Is the end of the Y axis with the motor considered the front or the back?

I have mine on the bench with the Y motor at the back, with the Y end stop at the front.
X stepper on the right as it sits on the bench, with X stop on the right (next to stepper).
Z end stop sits on the right side too.

Here's a photo of my machine in case you can spot anything that's clearly in the wrong place (I need a better switch for the Y end stop to get activated by the bearing and not the bed itself). Sorry none of the wiring is tidied as I appreciate it makes it hard to see the machine with all that spaghetti in the way!

Many thanks guys!

*edit* Here's more details on the specifics of the machine I've built:
Thermistors for bed and nozzle are 100k ones bought here: [www.ebay.co.uk]
These are my steppers for each axis and extruder - they are 2.8v 1.65 ohm 1.68A - [www.ebay.co.uk]
Melzi V2 board
End stops are basic micro switches currently setup as N/O operation (switch closes when in stopped position).

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2014 01:50PM by Mr Joshua.

Prusa Mendel i2 - Melzi V2
Re: Prusa Mendel Melzi firmware 'ready to use'?
March 01, 2014 05:25PM
Here's a few closer pics, with a bit less clutter and the wires at least looped up with a few cable ties to keep the excess out of the way until I get spiral wrap for it all.

You can see hopefully the positions of all the parts like end stops & steppers relative to each other. It's set up the same physically as the ready built ones both my friends bought from the ebay ad I linked to above, so I think it should be right.
Am I right in thinking that this version is specifically a Prusa Mendel i2? Or is it a different variation?

Prusa Mendel i2 - Melzi V2
March 29, 2014 09:28PM
looking for the same info myself.
April 19, 2014 08:53PM
-Well that makes three of us then!

All you say in your original post is OK but the front of the printer is with the Y axis motor facing you so the Melzi board is on your left as you look at the printer [see the pic in the ebay advert for clarification].
I had issues with the Y axis moving in the wrong direction and changed the wiring over swapping the leads on one connection on the board. But now I fixed that I have' homing' issues and it all points at the message the printer gets at startup, presumably from firmware.The coordinates are way off so printing an item doesn't appear in the centre of the bed.But where to change it??
I've emailed the Chinese in the hope they can help and that they don't take all week to respond -they're not the quickest at replying! ho-hum.
Will post here if I hear anything.
Watch this space......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login