Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrading help needed for older Prusa Mendel (LCD + Extruder)

Posted by marlaur 
Upgrading help needed for older Prusa Mendel (LCD + Extruder)
February 10, 2014 06:53AM
Hi,

Some time ago I build myself a Prusa Mendel and eventually got it up and running somewhat reliable. I have not used the printer lately nor been following along with the development of repraps in general for a long time - but now I want to print again! However there are a few issues I would like to solve so the printing experience will be as enjoyable as possible.

My computer keeps loosing the connection to the printer, resulting in prints stopping half way throug the printing process. I would like to get an LCD controller so it can run all by itself, but:

1. I see there are some controllers with text only and some with graphics, which one should I get? I just want something that works at a fair price!

2. I have RAMPS 1.3, should that be upgraded to 1.4?

3. Which firmware is suitable for LCD controllers? Are there any up-to-date guides on the various settings and such?

Also:

4. My extruder keeps jamming up and it is a PITA to take the thing apart and clean it. Are there any new developments in regard to extruders? I can see there are quite a few Chinese extruders on ebay with fewer parts and mostly made out of metal, are they any good?

I really hope someone can help me clearify things a bit. Thank you!
Re: Upgrading help needed for older Prusa Mendel (LCD + Extruder)
February 10, 2014 07:37AM
1. I have a text only lcd. cant fault it. ( it a reprapdiscount smart lcd with encoder) ive looked at the graphic one and they just look like a waste of time in my opinion.
2. check the wiki and see what the changes are. from memory there isnt that much different.
3. I think most support lcds now. But I would use marlin or repetier, they seem to be the most popular.
4. is it the hot or cold bit of the extruder that you are having trouble with? if it is the hot end, and you want simple and reliable printing just get a real j-head.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login