Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kisslicer and Prusa i3

Posted by brandonr 
Kisslicer and Prusa i3
February 09, 2014 06:06AM
Does anyone use kisslicer with a prusa i3? I've always used slic3r on my Makerfarm i3 8" and have been very disappointed by some of the slicing when there's a lot of geometry. I've been getting a lot of jams and really wanted to try kisslicer. But when I enter into kisslicer what I believe is my configuration for my prusa and then try to print, it doesn't even extrude or extrudes random blobs. Would anyone have configuration files I could get to slice for an i3 on kisslicer? When I try to slice this vase, slic3r either locks up when slicing or creates a print that jams my nozzle... [www.thingiverse.com]
Thanks
Re: Kisslicer and Prusa i3
February 09, 2014 08:22AM
slic3r is much easier to use, indeed
kos
February 09, 2014 05:06PM
I switched to kisslicer a week ago and find it's print quality superior to slic3r. Here are my settings (I'm still tweaking them): [github.com]
February 10, 2014 03:01PM
kos
I switched to kisslicer a week ago and find it's print quality superior to slic3r. Here are my settings (I'm still tweaking them): [github.com]
Thanks kos! I tried those settings but my hotend keeps jamming. I'm thinking its related to extrusion speeds or amounts because it starts laying down a very thin layer and then jams up. Are you using a Prusa i3 with ramps 1.4? What hotend? I'm using the magma so I can only print ABS but I changed the temps for abs in your pla settings but still can't get it right.
February 11, 2014 09:03AM
Im using CURA on my Makerfarm i3 with .4 Magma with no issues.
The only thing I cant figure out on it is the start gcode. everything else works like a dream.
February 11, 2014 02:58PM
Floyd
Im using CURA on my Makerfarm i3 with .4 Magma with no issues.
The only thing I cant figure out on it is the start gcode. everything else works like a dream.
Thanks for the suggestion. I installed cura and love the way it looks and functions. I haven't tried to print yet but I'll let you know. Also, under the settings, I saw a place to put your start and end gcode. I'd just copy my gcodes from slic3r and see how they work.
February 12, 2014 09:21AM
I did just copy them over from Slic3r but it doesnt work the same.
Slic3r heats up the bed, then homes, then heats up the tip
CURA heats up the bed and tip, then homes.

I like heating up the bed first because it takes so much longer. I dont want the tip heated up and oozing out the tip while the bed heats up.

My current work around is just setting bed temp in pronterface and once its close to 110 I start the print.
February 12, 2014 02:21PM
Floyd
I did just copy them over from Slic3r but it doesnt work the same.
Slic3r heats up the bed, then homes, then heats up the tip
CURA heats up the bed and tip, then homes.

I like heating up the bed first because it takes so much longer. I dont want the tip heated up and oozing out the tip while the bed heats up.

My current work around is just setting bed temp in pronterface and once its close to 110 I start the print.
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I usually always preheat my bed for 30 minutes before every print just because my bed warps a little as it's heating.

And just briefly looking at cura, I'm kind of thinking that the custom gcode boxes are for additional gcodes because I've been seeing that when I add my slic3r code, it tried to heat both bed and tip twice. So I've gone into my gcode files and remove cura's start codes manually. It's a hassle for each print, but it would help your problem to manually remove them or switch their order in your case.

I also had to say, I really love cura's brim slicing! Its so easy to pull off!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 02:23PM by brandonr.
May 06, 2015 03:09AM
Hi Brandonr,

i often use kisslicer with replicator printer and now i'm building my first prusa i3..
Your link about your seetings doesn't work; i would like to get it, can you send me the files?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login