Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Converting a Prusa i1 to I3

Posted by kevman 
Converting a Prusa i1 to I3
February 06, 2014 11:35AM
HI,

I started a prusa i1 project way back in early 2011 but never got around to finishing it. Now a few years later with a some motivation I am looking to see whether I can convert my existing project to an i2 or i3 ? I got to the part where the electronics were going to be installed, but never touched it since. I have all the parts to complete the project but wondering if it makes sense to upgrade it to the next iteration. thoughts?
Re: Converting a Prusa i1 to I3
February 06, 2014 02:22PM
Hi,

The Prusa i1 and i2 are very different from the Prusa i3.

If you really want an i3, I'd suggest that you finish the original project and print off parts for the i3, then you should be able to cannibalise the original for the i3, just check all of the threaded rod will fit okay.

However, a well tuned i1 or i2 should be able to perform just as well as a prusa i3, a lot of people complain about wobble in the earlier iterations, which is probably the main reason why one might go for the i3.

Jordan
February 07, 2014 12:58AM
Wobble is no rally a big issue with either the Mendel, Prusa 1 or Prusa 2. There are many ways to fix it. The loose z nuts seems to take care of wobble effectively at the cost of some lag in the z.. This is not really an issue if you don't use z lift. You can also replace the z threaded rods with M5 easily in the Prusa.
February 07, 2014 11:46AM
Thanks for the input guys, I think I will stick to my i1 build and then use that for printing out a future i3 if I want. I already did make some changes by gettin lm8uu holders holders for my bed. Teh glue oilite bushings never worked for me.

Hopefully I get things going soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login