Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa I3 XL Build log

Posted by RodF 
Re: Prusa I3 XL Build log
April 07, 2014 01:59PM
Hi all,

The build above looks great! Perhaps you could also answer a few questions for me
Im building mine as we speak, and have a few items i cant find in the directions. Nor can't seem to get DiyTechShop to give an answer..
1. Where/how does the printhead thermister (small LED sensor) mount?
2. I received. a resistor or diode (taped to the back of either the arduino or ramps board. What is this for?

Any assistance would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
April 08, 2014 12:17AM
Hi David
The thermister goes in a small hole in the extruder heater block. Not sure about the extra electronic component that came with your board. I looked at the DIYtechshop site and see they recommend looking at Prusa i3 videos on Utube. I had a quick look and there seems to be plenty on info there.
BTW this thread should have been named 'Inspired by Prusa I3xl' and is really closer to a Mendle 90 (but I hadn't seen that when I did this design). Also strictly speaking this is a RepStrap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2014 12:22AM by RodF.
April 08, 2014 12:21AM
More work on the print bed. Will reduce the spring height.

Construction is nearly finished. Wiring next and also a heat containment box.
April 18, 2014 01:30AM
Built a drawer for the power supplies and electronics. It will be a bit awkward running the wiring under the machine but will be tidy and keep the electronics cool. Got the cable chain for the bed heater done.

April 21, 2014 01:41AM
Installed the end stops today. Wasn't particularly looking forwards to this step as I hadn't integrated them into the design. However I am happy with the result. Just the Y and Z cable chains to install.

Z axis end stop.

Y axis end stop, I had to remove the plug housing and bend the pins to make it fit.

X axis end stop. I am using nylon screws for adjustment to reduce damage if there is a failure.

The end stop stand offs are 6mm Festo air line. I made a simple fixture to accurately cut it.
April 25, 2014 11:02PM
There were lots of little jobs to do before I could start wiring.

Got the machine into the rumpus room near to the computer.

Attached the power supplies and electronics to the drawer.

Cable chains attached.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2014 03:20AM by RodF.
May 18, 2014 07:01PM
Nearly finished the wiring, just need to install the E3D hotend.

May 18, 2014 08:49PM
Working on the E3D. I had to relieve the hole in the plastic Bulldog mount for the large E3D heat sink and also make a shim to snug the heatsink up to the Bulldog body.

May 19, 2014 09:58AM
Started work on commissioning the machine. Successfully installed the firmware on the board. Well the display/smart controller works and I can get motor movement if I activate the end stopssmiling smiley Haven't connected the hotend and thermistor yet so am getting an error message there. Work in progress.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 09:58PM by RodF.
May 20, 2014 06:44AM
Everything is working now in both Repetier and stand alone. I haven't really got my head around the end stops and homing yet. Still need to fine tune the calibration but they are very close.

May 20, 2014 11:46PM
It took most of the day to work out that couldn't have the end stop switch at the positive end of the axis. I could have reversed the axis but it just didn't seem right. Ended up moving the switch, so now all is good.
Time to make a dial guage mount for bed leveling.
May 21, 2014 12:40AM
One of the cable clamps was the perfect size. The glass is pretty flat under .2mm over most of it and maybe a max of .4. The guage makes it really easy to level the bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2014 12:41AM by RodF.
May 21, 2014 06:17AM
There has to be a better way to clamp the glass on than bulldog clips? I'm thinking some sort of spring loaded swivel clamp.
May 22, 2014 11:58PM
Got some PLA so I needed to make a reel mount and a system to get it on the reel.

Loose PLA as delivered and a extension lead reel. It has its own bearing system which is surprisingly free.

Reel holder.

Simple method of winding the filament onto the Reel
(CNC foam cutter in background also 40% Slick 360)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2014 11:59PM by RodF.
May 23, 2014 06:57PM
Insulated the heater bed with teflon tape and 2 layers of fire blanket spray glued together. Also cut away some of the extruder mount to make it easier to get the extruder assembly on and off.

Ugly mod but will probably make a new extruder mounting plate.
May 24, 2014 12:47AM
Got the hot end running and calibrated the extruder. I found Thomas Sanladerer's guides really good. Am getting very close to actually printing something now.

May 24, 2014 11:55PM
Second print. I am very pleased with this result.

May 26, 2014 09:44PM
Had a failure due to the PC to printer connection so have changed to printing from the SD card Am experimenting with Slic3r now.
Precision block test at speed. I am impressed by the amount of overhang is achievable.

May 28, 2014 01:33AM
Having problems with Slic3r outputting too slow extruder speed. Can't find the problem, just me I suppose.
June 01, 2014 09:01AM
hello,

where have you bought the bar clamps and bearings for the y and z axis?
June 02, 2014 12:29AM
Hi 3Design
Bar clamps here [www.aliexpress.com]

Bearings here [www.aliexpress.com]
June 02, 2014 01:28AM
Thank you, i m going to order thhese parts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login