Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magma Hot End w/ Marlin v1

Posted by momentum 
Magma Hot End w/ Marlin v1
December 31, 2013 09:08AM
I have a Makerfarm Prusa i3 w/ RAMPS and a Magma hot end and Marlin v1

I have a previous post about getting the auto bed level to work. I think that is working now. However I have a much larger problem (probably caused by myself) in the newest code. The temp control on the hot end is screwed up. If I set the temp to say 240 it will climb to about 220-225 then pull back 10 degree then repeat and never reach 240. I swap back to Colin's firmware for Makerfarm and everything works fine.

Here are some things I've tried without success.

Set the thermisters to type 1 and type 6 >>> Same results
Copied the PID values from the Makerfarm version >>> Same result
Performed a PID auto tune >>> Same result (note that they it was able to reach 240 during auto tune)
Set the max temp for the hot end to 255 to buy some ceiling >>> Same result
I also rebuilt the hot end, swapped out the thermister for a brand new one, cleaned up the connection with the heater >>> Same Result

The hot end really seems to struggle getting to temp even thou that hot end if able to go much higher.

This is my power supply

[www.amazon.com]
Re: Magma Hot End w/ Marlin v1
January 02, 2014 03:55PM
The first issue is that the power supply really isn't big enough for that printer.

The second issue depends a *lot* on what thermistor tables you have. If they have the MakerFarm table 6 then 1 and 6 are pretty similar. If they have the default Marlin table 6 and the MakerFarm data is in 96 and 97 then stay away from table 6.

To rule out the power supply until you get a proper one - do all this with the heated bed turned off. Watch the hot end and see how hot it gets. If it still struggles, check all your connections. It's a good bet one of them is bad. You should have two very solid grounds going back to the supply and two solid +12 lines coming in. Four grounds and two pairs of +12 would be better in your case.

All of the PID values in the MakerFarm files work ok. They heat up the hot end mighty fast. The config starts out with a 235 max, so an auto tune at 230 will fail. The same is true of setting it to 240 with the defaults. I'd just set the max temp to 290 to get it out of the way.
January 03, 2014 09:31AM
What would you recommend for the power supply? This is the one Colin recommends.

I also have an external relay for the heated bed to pump more current to it. In total I have 4x +12V lines and 4x ground running to my RAMPS, in addition I have 3x +12V and 3x ground running to my heatbed relay.

I think your on the button with the thermister tables. The system heats up just fine with the Makerfarm firmware.

I see the difference in 6 from Makerfarm to stock's tables. I was sticking with 1 in both.

I'm not sure what you mean by this " MakerFarm data is in 96 and 97".

Thank you for your help!!!
January 06, 2014 10:18PM
There are some new (possibly pre-release) versions of Marlin out from MakerFarm. In the ones I have, he's moved his custom thermistor tables over to 96 and 97 rather than replacing the stock thermistor table 6 with one of his. Check on the site to see what the latest stuff looks like.

----------------

Get a 12V 30A industrial supply. It will take care of a lot of your issues.

[www.trcelectronics.com]

is a name brand supply straight from their biggest US distributor. Cheaper than a good PC supply, and more reliable in printer applications. You can adjust them up to about 14V or so if you are brave.
January 06, 2014 10:55PM
Right now everything is running pretty damn good.

I have this guy in the mail already. Looks to have very similar specs.
[www.amazon.com]

I also did some tweaks over the weekend. Touched up my thermister to heatbed contact and also tossed another pair of wires between my heatbed and the relay.

The new power supply should arrive Wed/Thur of this week.

Where can I check out the pre-release Makerfarm Marlin versions? I'd love to tinker with them.

Thanks again for your help, I booked marked that power supply site.. as I may start a new reprap build in the near future.
January 09, 2014 10:46PM
Wow!! This new power supply has some juice.

Old ATX power supply would drop to 10V when both my heaters kicked on.

This power supply doesn't even notice. Faster warm up times, steppers have more kick to them.

Great call Bob !!
January 30, 2014 08:50AM
@Momentum---how did the power supply from Amazon work out?
January 30, 2014 09:08PM
@Momentum, could you tell us (me) how you connected your power supply, on both ends (input & output)? Thanks smiling smiley

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
January 30, 2014 09:40PM
AbuMaia
@Momentum, could you tell us (me) how you connected your power supply, on both ends (input & output)? Thanks smiling smiley

Inputs
[www.youtube.com]

Level Set
[www.youtube.com]

Outputs are all 12V and or ground. They are all labeled on the power supply. Connect them to the appropriate inputs on your controller board.

What board are you using? RAMPS?

As for the question above, how well the LED power supply is working in comparison to the ATX power supply. Three thumbs up!!! Tons of power, faster heating, more stable temps, excess power for lighting cooling fans etc. Must have in my opinion.
January 31, 2014 12:02PM
I'm still about a month away from placing an order for the Makerfarm i3, but I think it comes with a RAMPS. Colin told me last night that an ATX power supply "performs better and gives better quality prints."

I'm trying to figure out which way to go. I am leaning towards the 12v 30a power supply, though. Trying to figure out what extra materials I'll need if I get it.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
January 31, 2014 02:16PM
AbuMaia
I'm still about a month away from placing an order for the Makerfarm i3, but I think it comes with a RAMPS. Colin told me last night that an ATX power supply "performs better and gives better quality prints."

I'm trying to figure out which way to go. I am leaning towards the 12v 30a power supply, though. Trying to figure out what extra materials I'll need if I get it.

Both work fine. However my experience has been better with the 30A LED power supply.

Up to you.
February 03, 2014 03:29PM
I ordered the LED power supply and it arrived on Saturday, no wires or any type of manual etc. I'm still new at this and have no idea what to do with it now lol
February 03, 2014 10:43PM
Look three posts above yours.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
February 04, 2014 07:58PM
That ATX power supply that momentum got has enough amperage for a 3D printer. It has 18A on each of the two +12V rails.

His temperature control issue sounds like a firmware issue.
February 04, 2014 09:36PM
Yes the heating issue was something goofy in my firmware. That issue is long gone.

Indeed the ATX power supply had enough power to run the printer... however I prefer the LED power supply.

My ATX power supply +12V rail would dip to 10-11V when everything was heating up.. This would obviously delay the heating a bit.

The LED power supply stays rock solid at 12V with everything heating.

I also plan on adding a 2nd extruder so the extra power is always nice.
February 05, 2014 12:18PM
Most ATX power supplies need to see a load on the +5V rail to get full voltage on the +12V rail. Did you try to put a load on the +5V rail like a fan, light or resistor? Mine has a 10 ohm/10 W resistor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login