Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LCD problem

Posted by Big D 
LCD problem
November 01, 2013 05:12AM
I am trying to hook an lcd to a ramps 1.4 that is using sprinter firmware and all I get is 2 rows of blocks. I have 2 boards and get the same results from both. So I bought another lcd from a different place and it does the same thing. Apparently it must be something with my board and/or firmware but I can't seem to find out where the problem is. I am using arduino 1.05 and btw the 2 boards were also from different places. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Attached is a picture of my results.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0219S.jpg (49.1 KB)
Re: LCD problem
November 01, 2013 07:08AM
Did you uncomment the right display in the firmware?

Edit:
Thought you were using Marlin firmware. But using Sprinter.

Found this thread:

[forums.reprap.org]

Guess you beter can use Marlin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2013 07:17AM by Justintime.
November 01, 2013 08:47AM
If you switch over to Marlin, there is a matching process between your LCD and the firmware. There are lines in the .h file that you uncomment to tell it which of the many possible LCD's you have. If in dobut, try them one at a time untill you find one that works.
November 03, 2013 02:41PM
You're not the only one dont worry. Mine does this some times. Sometimes it goes all jumbled and displays garbage. Other times it becomes unresponsive. I've found a firmware restore fixes it for a while.

It looks virtually identical to the reprapdiscount display. Marlin has a pre-set for it in the firmware - try giving it a shot. If it still doesn't play nice, contact the site you bought it from and ask them which pre-set (if any) is compatible.
November 08, 2013 06:58AM
Big D
I am trying to hook an lcd to a ramps 1.4 that is using sprinter firmware and all I get is 2 rows of blocks. I have 2 boards and get the same results from both. So I bought another lcd from a different place and it does the same thing. Apparently it must be something with my board and/or firmware but I can't seem to find out where the problem is. I am using arduino 1.05 and btw the 2 boards were also from different places. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Attached is a picture of my results.

I have seen the same on two of mine when setting up for the first time. Cause was that the ribbon cables were back to front. I just changed the cables over at one end of each and the problem was fixed in both cases. Maybe some are put together wrongly before packing?

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
April 30, 2014 11:50AM
thank you regpye.
You helped me solve my problem...and your explanation was...quite a trigger.

In my case it's not that the ribbon cable was back to front (because I manufactured the ribbon myself) but it seems that the picture is wrong !!!

I've manufactured the ribbon cable exactly as in the picture and...mambo-jumbo, at best two white lines.
Then, I reversed the ribbon and BAM, it works.
And I've checked twice: my cable was built right, the drawing is wrong.

And, another important lesson is that if the ribbon cable is reversed, nothing bad happens. Except it does not work !!!

http://reprap.org/wiki/Megatronics_2.0

regpye
Big D

I have seen the same on two of mine when setting up for the first time. Cause was that the ribbon cables were back to front. I just changed the cables over at one end of each and the problem was fixed in both cases. Maybe some are put together wrongly before packing?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login