Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap begginer - i2 or i3?

Posted by WannaBeGnome 
Reprap begginer - i2 or i3?
August 14, 2013 10:35AM
Hi! I am newbie to reprap, i have found it about a week ago and been browsing in internet since then. I am wondering if i should build prusa i2 or i3. I am complete begginer in reprap and in 3d printing. I am looking for model which is less difficult to build and cheaper. Can you give me some advices?

Regards,

WannaBeGnome
Re: Reprap begginer - i2 or i3?
August 14, 2013 05:19PM
I suggest new users now build an i3. They are easier to square and have more development in progress. There still needs to be more documentation but with the forums and the resources out there it's not difficult. The big ticket items will still be electronics, hot end and motors. If you are on a budget a box frame or laser cut wood frame with supports is an option. You're looking at US$600 or so with easy sourcing. Depending on how much you can source yourself and if you don't mind using an electronics package with fewer features or a DIY you may be able to bring it in closer to US$500.
August 15, 2013 03:34AM
I´ve found great tutorials to build an i2. It doesn´t seem so difficult and i think i can build it for around 400€. [www.youtube.com]
Re: Reprap
April 29, 2014 06:33PM
Hey all, I'm literally JUST starting to learn about the detailed world of building these devices and would like to hear what those of you who have achieved success in completing a functioning printer have to share about your gathered knowledge and experiences.

It seems that there is now more general info out there on these devices than info on actually constructing them, info which is probably buried deep within forums such as this and as ya'll may know, there is only so much time one can spend reading up on a project, especially one this complex.

So in tall hopes, I reach out - and extend my arms, to you, the most knowledgeable of general public. smiling smiley)

Things such as links to COMPLETE instructions on how to assemble and calibrate, software, CAD component designs for the printers and so forth would be incredibly handy.
Also I know a few people who can provide me access to equipment such as a lath, a CNC machine and am also closely involved with the folks building and flying model aircrafts up to a 3rd in scale.

My main idea is to build this almost ENTIRELY from scratch, buy the structural rods, links, screws and things that i obviously cant make such as a microchip or motherboard. Print the CAD files that can be printed by somone who already has a printer and quite literally copy a kit with materials bought separately and tweak them to create a design sold as a kit?

CAN THIS BE DONE? AND IF SO - WHERE ON EARTH DO I START?
April 29, 2014 10:19PM
I choose to build the I2 for my first 3d printer. It seems to have the most documentation for it. But there is still a big learning curve that goes with building one. But for me I thought that is the best way to learn about them is to build it yourself. But if you think that youll build one in a couple of days or weeks and have it go ok probley not. But if your ready to read and read a lot its not that bad. For me the hardest parts was getting the frame squared up right and little things that where mostly me not understanding things well enough to catch simple problems, see some of my posts. But after some six months or so of buying parts when I could and trouble shooting I am up and printing. Now I am thinking of building one of the delta printers probley the Kossel. My I2 is set up to print ABS but the Kossel will be for PLA. So read and read some more and go for it and others will be here to help, good luck. And there are instuctions out there search for it and read.
Re: Reprap
April 29, 2014 11:50PM
StefanBachrodt
CAN THIS BE DONE? AND IF SO - WHERE ON EARTH DO I START?

It's possible but if you don't want to research it or do any of the legwork you won't be successful and likely won't be able to start. There is no way around doing your homework if you are going to build from scratch. You aren't going to find "complete" instructions in a single package that will walk you through it. The quickest and least expensive way to do it is with a low cost kit. Many of the complete kits come with instructions.
April 30, 2014 03:24AM
i was able to source most of the parts locally, and got around a price at 350 USD, this is a Prusa i3 Boxed Frame.
Then when i thought the boxed frame caused to many problems i was trying to source some parts for an upgrade.
The upgrade costed me alittle more and i was able to get my printer working very nice and some good results (not perfect still needs calibration, just upgraded a few days ago). and to total price for the printer with the upgrade is now 550 USD. This is with laser cut frame some new rods, PSU, better heated bed and finally E3D Hotend.

i went for scrap parts in the start and it was okay, and a hell of a ride to begin with. But ! it was worth it for the experience. Learned a lot and now I'm going to start building another one.
i would recommend for learning, try and source the parts your self and try to build it. But if you're searching for fast build and just want to print, buy a kit or assembled unit, but in my opinion you won't learn as much as beginning from scratch.
May 01, 2014 04:48AM
We built a few(6) prusas in the past few months. It seems the i2 is far beter compared to the i3 version. We had lots of printquality isseus with the (2) i3 versions we made. So at the end we converted the i3 tot i2 versions. We also redesigned the original i2 and enlarged it. That is, bed has the same dimension but it can print much higher (about 240 mm).
Only with our latest high i2 version we have one small issue to deal with. Starting a print the extruder don't put it's PLA at the correct moment on the bed or at the start of a new line. It sometimes is a fraction of a second late. I'm working on that, probably a software setting.
C & c
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login