Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MakerFarm Prusa i3

Posted by congaree 
MakerFarm Prusa i3
April 13, 2013 10:36AM
Need some advice...I'm doing my research now for a new 3D printer. I'm pretty cost sensitive, so I've been trying to get the very best bang for the buck, yet wind up with an excellent printer in the end. The Prusa i3, though a fairly new and evolving design, seems to be the best cost/performance option out there. So, I've spent the last 2 weeks attempting to source parts for it in the US. And yes, I need to stay with US sourced parts, since international shipping costs are a killer.

Looking at the whole picture, I've concluded that I'm looking at a total BOM cost of about $500 to $600 w/shipping (not including tools) as the very best case. I'm also having to factor in that there is some risk of purchasing poor quality and/or incorrect parts, since I'm rather new to this.

So, looking at complete DIY kits available, the hands down winner on the cost front is the Prusa i3 kit from Maker Farm. The complete kit is about the cost of the parts sourced individually (it'll run a small bit over $600)...with a very small, single shipping bill.

Does anybody have experience with this kit and/or Makerfarm? The kit looks very well made and they have some nice 'extras'. It is also clear that they've paid attention to quality (using GT2 pulley's and belts).

This just seems to be the clear choice from a price/performance standpoint...also, I love the idea of building it myself.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

UPDATE: One drawback I do see with this particular model is that it has a relatively small build volume at 6 in x 3 (about 150 mm). I'm not sure what it is for other Prusa i3 kits/DIY, but I thought 200m x 3 was more or less standard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2013 01:51PM by congaree.
Re: MakerFarm Prusa i3
April 13, 2013 08:55PM
I've dealt with Colin at Makerfarm. Good service; quick, reasonable shipping. I buy parts for my printers though, not his kits. His kits are specific to Makerfarm builds but in the end do the same thing, melt plastic and print it. I sell i2 and i3 mechanical parts (frames, rods, bearings, vitamins) and suggest to my customers if they are new to 3D printing and want to build, go with the i2 for now as the support and availability of some parts is better. Getting a single sourced kit much if not all of that is negated. One potential downside is only being able to get parts from that supplier though many of the parts are the same as on a Prusa build. If you want to do a one stop kit, he'll do you right.
April 13, 2013 09:56PM
Thanks for the info vegasloki. Your experiences fit the impression I got from their website and videos. The only reason I asked was that the price of their Prusa i3 kit seemed so low (basically, it seemed a bit too low), I was wondering if I missed something about the kit or the company that would indicate that they were cutting corners to keep the price down. About the only thing I see, as I mentioned above, is that the build volume is the machine seems a bit on the low side for a Prusa. Possibly, they've scaled the dimensions down a little to make the price point. Nothing wrong with that at all...as I like low price points smiling smiley

I agree with you about the concern of part sourcing from a single supplier. In fact, I would plan to create replacement printed parts as one of the first things to make when the printer is up and running.

Of course, if this becomes a long term interest, I'll probably be building another one from scratch...especially since I can easily source the plastic parts then.

BTW, I was initially looking at an i2, but it looked a bit loose and fiddly to me. But you are certainly right about the parts availability...i2 parts are a lot more available than i3 parts...especially the plastic parts.

Anyway, I appreciate your comment and it makes me feel comfortable going that route.
April 14, 2013 05:16PM
I just finished a build using Makerfarm's new Prusa I3 kit. My general opinion as a new builder, It rocked smiling smiley

The kit had all the hardware required, minus the power supply and whatever you use to install it. You'll mainly need a philips screwdriver and crescent wrench for the frame build. Wire strippers and a soldering iron for the electronics. As for "strange tools", "D-sub wire crimpers" from radio shack and some kapton tape are needed to build the hot end and heated bed.

The instructions are all via youtube videos (just search makerfarm on youtube) and are reasonably complete for the hardware build and firmware update. There are some undocumented bits I ran into, the hardware build misses a couple minor steps, but they are easily resolvable if you look at you things fit together. I also ran into some software related issues (ramps lcd has trouble moving the z-axis, extruder motor won't run if hot end isn't hot) that I ran into that couldn't even be considered Makerfarm's fault, but Collen was able to answer my questions in minutes with a simple email for help.

Build size is not 6x3, the extruder can reach all the 6x6 hot bed pcb, my build range is about 5x5 using a random piece of picture frame glass and binder clips (which limit some of my safe travel area). Z-axis is just over 100mm.

Aside from the makerfarm kit, i had to buy...
Power supply, I used this one (12v 20a).
Kapton Tape
D-sub Crimpers
12V wiring/terminals to connect power supply to ramps board
plug for 120V (scavanged from old power supply
120V switch (also scavanged)
crimpers for 12V wiring (If you don't already have this, you'll probably need the wire strippers/soldering iron as well smiling smiley )

I didn't like the lasercut wood look so I painted all my wood pieces before assembly. If you do this, don't be impatient like me and just start spraying, use primer and wait for the paint to dry, etc.. my paint looks like crud up close due to trying to paint the entire thing the afternoon I got it.

Collen is incredibly responsive, I emailed several times with questions and suggestions as I was building my machine. He responded within minutes, even after hours on the weekend (your results may vary smiling smiley )

All in all, I highly recommend this kit and vendor. My exposure to the reprap world pretty much consists of lurking on these forums, and I built this machine with no prior experience. Total build time till printing was about 20 hours (I put the "Plus" in "3+ hours build time"). Total machine price after buying the power supply and misc "strange tools" was about $700, I figured I could have saved about $100 sourcing everything myself, unless people started charging shipping or anything went wrong. In the end, I am pleased I went this route.

April 15, 2013 03:00AM
BEWARE unregistered users making their first post ever on the forum.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 15, 2013 11:46AM
rhmorrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BEWARE unregistered users making their first post
> ever on the forum.

Didn't Know what you meant but I have noticed surely its forum mistake
April 15, 2013 11:51AM
Actually I agree just made me look at a old post that someone lives near me but better contact me by email, that person shows up the same as this person, Also if you click on name it shouldn't go straight to email weird
April 15, 2013 07:06PM
Thank you for that very thorough response SirHoder. It really looks like an outstanding kit.

I'm definitely keeping MakerFarm on my short list.

Of course, now, I'm waffling back and forth between the Prusa i3 and i2 again. I love everything thing about that MakerFarm i3, except the smaller build volume. BTW, just to correct something I wasn't clear on earlier...the build volume, which I quoted as 6 in x 3...I used the wrong notation...I meant 6 inches cubed.

Darn, it's tough to decide, but you guys have helped a lot! Great community here.
April 16, 2013 05:29PM
single sheet aluminium prusa i3 is 200x200 so i consider it a reasonable size for that particular design as i am new and what i have read so i don't really know what other printers have bigger printable area than 200x200, obviously too don't know what how high on the z axis due to the rockstocks out there.I was the same whether to go for the i2 or i3, but i went for rigibility of the i3, couldn't stand the thought the bolts working loose all the time. and the idea not having any bolts apart from the y axis, i hit a problem the file on the github, the holes was 3.5mm but i tapped them out to bee 4mm and adjusted the rp accordingly, do the parts don't need a bolt behind them prevent anything coming undone.
April 16, 2013 07:27PM
chris33, I completely agree with you about the advantages of a full-sized Prusa i3. That extra rigidity has got to result in better prints and less fiddling. Plus, they are definitely easier to build and have fewer parts.

My problem is that I'm really restricted to fully sourced kits. I simply don't have the facilities to do much parts fabrication at all...plus I lack a lot of the required skills. Finally, I would like to maximize build volume, since there are many interesting things that just cannot be properly built in a 6 inch build envelope. Also, I'm rather price sensitive. When I add those factors together and my choices are down to the relatively inexpensive kits.

The Makerfarm i3 fits all my needs except for the build volume...something I didn't even notice until after I posted this.

I even tried finding i3 parts with the thought that I could source it myself. Finding full US based i3 sources for Prusa i3 printed parts has been very discouraging...compounded by the fact that there are 2 models with different parts requirements (box and single sheet). I just can't risk buying a mix-mash of potentially incompatible (and relatively expensive) i3 parts that will put me completely out of my budget.

So, an i2 kit now seems to be the most logical choice for me....yet I'm still looking around for i3 parts...bah!

Thank you so much for the comments.
April 16, 2013 08:35PM
chris33 Wrote:
> rhmorrison Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > BEWARE unregistered users making their first
> post
> > ever on the forum.
>
>
>
>
> Didn't Know what you meant but I have noticed
> surely its forum mistake

He's implying that the vendor mentioned in the thread is astroturfing with that post. I've dealt with the vendor in question and he wouldn't do that.
April 16, 2013 09:51PM
congaree Wrote:

> So, an i2 kit now seems to be the most logical
> choice for me....yet I'm still looking around for
> i3 parts...bah!

At this point if you want to get printing fairly quickly an i2 is your best choice. I've only been offering i3 rod kits for about a week or so. Thus far there has been more interest in the single plate i3 than the box frame i3. I think that is interesting because most of the kits and parts in the US are for box frame versions. Most of what I hear from those that have bought i3 rod kits is that they are printing the parts or have someone to print them. It won't be too long before printed kits (or complete kits for that matter) of single plate AL frame i3s are more widely available.

That said, over the weekend I started another i2 because I didn't want to print i3 parts right now. I know how the i2 assembles and configures and I know how they work. One of the jobs of the new printer will be to help develop an i3 in addition to getting more capacity for other jobs for which we use the printer.
April 16, 2013 10:43PM
Hey vegasloki,

Agreed, if I want something sooner rather than later, it looks like an i2 is the way to go.

I'm seriously thinking on this...wait a month or so to see if more i3 stuff comes out or go ahead and drop the dime on an i2?

I'm definitely looking at the Makerfarm i2 now as well...and also the NW RepRap model.
April 17, 2013 06:54PM
I'm building a single plate alu yes it is hard to buy the parts from vendors who sell on there websites and on ebay, but not too difficult to get someone on here to print them once i get my printer going im going to print few parts but prob by then there will be a i4 out lol
April 18, 2013 09:27PM
by then there will be a i4 out lol

That's not a bad thing at all smiling smiley

..well, twelvepro does have a nice looking i3 kit too. I've been looking at that. It looks like it has everything...including a price tag.
April 19, 2013 08:04PM
I think for the OP it depends on if you want to build more for the sake of building something more cutting edge, or want to build something of a more utilitarian nature and focus more on what you are printing rather than the type of machine. Some may like to do both. if you want to print now, fairly inexpensively and with a wide range of support and i2 is an easy choice. If you want to be cutting edge right now an i3 would be good but you'll find more support and builds for a Mendel 90 or Rostock. The possibilities are are wide open at this point.
April 24, 2013 07:49PM
I went with the Nophead Mendel90 kit a few months back. At the time, I was looking for an i3 kit. Didn't find one in the USA. I used his manual that he has online as an indicator of the quality of his kit...boy was I right. I'd like to build another printer, but can't seem to find something at the level of Nopheads instructions.
May 15, 2013 08:55PM
Problem solved...Makerfarm just came out with an 8 inch version of their i3 kit spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The price is almost identical to the 6 inch version too, with all the bells and whistles...making it an even more amazing value.

I'm doing it!
June 03, 2013 03:33AM
congaree did u buy it
June 05, 2013 08:05PM
spin Wrote:
> congaree did u buy it

I did...it's been shipped and I'm just waiting for it to arrive next Monday. Pretty darned excited right now. Been watching the build videos on youtube over and over smiling bouncing smiley There's a 1 week lead time to ship...feels like waiting for Christmas when I was a 6 yr old.
June 05, 2013 10:37PM
I just wanted to add that I too recently bought a Prusa i3 from Colin, in part because of this thread, and he's been really helpful and quick when I ran into a problem I couldn't figure out. All the parts fit in very nicely without much trouble. Currently, I'm at the calibration/setting stage, messing around with slic3r and pronterface to get a decent print. Anyways, I hope your build goes well.
June 07, 2013 06:43PM
Thank you! Hopefully you're coming along with nicely with your calibration...I suspect that's the most time-consuming part of the build...and more or less, never ending.

StochasticError Wrote:
> I just wanted to add that I too recently bought a
> Prusa i3 from Colin, in part because of this
> thread, and he's been really helpful and quick
> when I ran into a problem I couldn't figure out.
> All the parts fit in very nicely without much
> trouble. Currently, I'm at the
> calibration/setting stage, messing around with
> slic3r and pronterface to get a decent print.
> Anyways, I hope your build goes well.
June 12, 2013 02:10PM
Just found this forum after a lot of research and placed my order for Makerfarm's 8" i3 this morning. It's good to ready thse reviews as it makes me fell better about the purchase.

I was dead set on a MendelMax but the cost was out of my budget. If the quality of this kit and the pints I get from it are decent then it's a good deal.
June 14, 2013 02:09AM
I purchased mine as well and am in the process of building colin is very fast at replying I ended up short on my belt let him know and he sent me a new one no questions asked its a fun build I don't have much time so I just build a Lil at a time I'm currently just waiting on that belt
June 14, 2013 07:45AM
How long did it take to get your kit? I know Colin is pretty backed up but I need to pick up a few parts and make a clean area in my house to start the build so it would be nice to know an approximate lead time.
June 14, 2013 12:27PM
I just completed assembling my 8" I3 from Makerfarm, Colin has been very helpful, while there were a couple of glitches with the order and parts matching up. Colin has done everything he can to send replacements. Colin even shipped an extra belt to replace the one I mistakenly cut to a shorter length than the 8" version requires. (looks like the same issue Spin had above)

As far as assembly, it took me quite a bit longer than the suggested 3 hours, but this was probably most likely due to some of the issues my parts had with material thickness, I worked with Colin though and have been so far been able to make the parts work. I would also recommend shipping UPS rather than USPS, but your results may vary. My USPS left the package torn apart in one corner and the parts only survided due to Colin's packaging.

Despite this, If i were to build again, I think i could do it in approximately 1 day (~6-8 hours) working leisurely. I also painted my pieces to give it a nicer look once assembled:

[imgur.com]

I havent completely calibrated it and I'm still having some trouble with Greg's Accessible Extruder (Too much force on the filament.), I'm hoping to resolve these issues shortly though.
June 14, 2013 12:45PM
DAM that looks tight I wanted to paint mine so bad but I got too excited and just built it I was gonna go with like an oak stain but that black looks sick....darn my impatience ...I'm having some trouble with Greg's extruder as well the motor gear doesn't seem to match the other gear when I put it on like colin does on the video it was a bitch trying to take that gear off after I put it on the motor cause it was such a tight fit I'm bout email Colin now
June 14, 2013 12:59PM
For you guys that have built your machines, about how big (diameter) is the bundle of wires for each of your wire runs? Reason I ask is I want to order some Spiral Wrap HERE and it comes in different diameters. I know you're going to have some wire runs with only a couple of wires so not really worried about that, I'm primarily wanting to tidy up the bigger wire runs.
June 14, 2013 01:17PM
I would say the 1/8" should be plenty, its really small gauge wire and I think the most bundled is 8 or so wires from the extruder. Maybe go to the 1/4" if you plan on keeping zip ties within it as well, but you may even be able to fit those in the 1/8".

I would probably recommend though to go with a mesh cable wrap like this: [www.cabletiesandmore.com]. My makerbot came with it and it seems to keep the cables organized perfectly. i would go with 1/4" or 3/8" of this.

10' seems like plenty of length as well, you will have to make a couple runs back to the board, one from the left side, one from the right, one from the extruder, and one from the bed.

Edit, looking at that cable wrap again that you were asking about, maybe 1/4" would be a safer choice for all the runs. I still think you could fit it into 1/8" but it could be a bit tight.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 01:48PM by Ximfinity.
June 14, 2013 01:54PM
Thanks! I like the mesh better.

Just out of curiosity I checked one of my favorite cable stores Monoprice.com to see what they had and found this kit: Monoprice Cable Wrap Kit

For $7 you get all this:

10 ft - 1/8" sleeving
10 ft - 1/4" sleeving
5 ft - 3/8" sleeving
5 ft - 1/2" sleeving
10 pcs - tie wraps
1 ft - 9mm heatshrink tubing
1 ft - 20mm heatshrink tubing
6 inch - 25mm heatshrink tubing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login