Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

fishing line instead of belts

Posted by nic0laz 
fishing line instead of belts
January 30, 2013 10:04AM
hi!

has anyone investigated about replacing timing belts with spectra fishing line?
VDX
Re: fishing line instead of belts
January 30, 2013 10:34AM
... fishing line with steel core is usable, but then you should better look for high elastic steel wire for its thinner overall diameter ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 30, 2013 12:33PM
elastic steel wire?, i was hoping to use something easy to find (at least in Argentina) to replace the timing belts.

The main idea is to minimize backslash and improve speed.

Is it worth it?
VDX
January 30, 2013 01:28PM
... I've built my first CO2-laserplotters around 1994 with 0.3mm and 0.5mm thick elastick steel-wires (with 49 single strands).

They had no backlash or noticeable elasticity and were accurate to 0.02mm ,,,

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

January 31, 2013 05:18PM
Mt machine hasn't arrived yet but it's one of the things I was thinking about to build one's own. Somewhere there are some discussions about it. My thoughts are that to be accurate the line would have to be reeled on/off some thread (as in bolt-thread) on the motor spindle that it is fixed to. If it were on a spool, it would just layer on top of itself and change the diameter slightly.
VDX
January 31, 2013 05:54PM
... attached are the images of the geared spools I've used then and a sketch of the laserplotter with the wire-feeding methode. The moving range was slightly bigger than 450x300 mm (German DIN-A3 size).

The 0.3mm thick steel wire had 3 windings on the spools and the windings moved slightly when pulling the arm and head over the complete way, but this wasn't measurable in this accuracy ranges ...

Viktor
--------

Attachments:
open | download - Antriebe X und Y - 2.jpg (309.4 KB)
open | download - Laserplotter komplett.jpg (78.9 KB)
February 01, 2013 06:47AM
My idea is to copy the system that is being used on the Tantillus..

An m8 rod with a perforation to thread the line, coupled to the motor shaft or with gears.

For mounting all this, i was thinking on mixing a double y motor mount with a 608zz bearing support.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login