Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What are BOM changes for 500mm extrusion Prism 1.5?

Posted by Flackster 
What are BOM changes for 500mm extrusion Prism 1.5?
November 29, 2012 11:24AM
Hi,

After looking a various options I'm planning to make a Mendel Prism 1.5. I've already built a Sells Mendel.

I'd like to build it with a larger print area using 500mm extrusions. However, I'm unsure of the knock-on effects to other components.

Here's the one's I've identified:

- Smooth rods - These now need to be 10mm not 8mm but what are the new X, Y & Z lengths?
- The BOM says I need 2 40mm M8 cap screws (plus nuts). Would that become M10 cap screws & nuts?
- Do the 12 LM8UU bearings become LM10UU?
- Do the 2 608ZZ bearings become 10mm versions (LM10zz????)

Is anything else affected that I should be thinking about?
(obviously the print bed itself nees to be bigger & I'll need to sort something for the heated bed)

All help gratefully recieved

Thanks

Pete
Re: What are BOM changes for 500mm extrusion Prism 1.5?
November 29, 2012 06:36PM
Yes they make LM10UU's but the 608 are not used on the 8mm rods so are not changed.
I would guess 550mm for the y-axis and z-axis rods (and cut them down to suit) and probably about 800 for the x-axis.
The y-axis rods logically should be 500mm plus a but more so 550mm should be a good guess.
The safe way would be to measure the rods after you have built the frame smiling smiley
You will need to find or design your own 10mm x and y carriages. There are 10mm x-ends on Thingiverse so someone might have done the carriages by now.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
Re: What are BOM changes for 500mm extrusion Prism 1.5?
November 29, 2012 10:33PM
Well,

I haven't worked up a BOM for the Prism 1.5 as of yet. I really need to get on that. And I need to build a 400mm version to finish where I left on in the build instructions. So much to do...so little time. sad smiley

For a machine using 500mm extrusions the smooth rod lengths are as follows:

X-axis: 605mm (you can get away with 600mm)
Y-axis: 540mm
Z-axis: 480mm

The 608 bearings remain the same as they are for the X and Y axis belts - the supporting M8 hardware remains.

The biggest choice you have to make is whether to use LMxUU bearings or sintered bronze ones. Personally I prefer the sintered bronze bushings. I have a new version of the X-ends that are highly configurable. They can accept either style of bearing, and can also be spec'd out for any size leadscrew. I don't yet have a version that accepts delrin nuts - they are fairly expensive. Currently I'm running with 1/4" ACME leadscrews using the standard 2 nuts and a spring per axis to remove any backlash.

But I think the biggest thing at this point is that for this size machine you *must* use 10mm smooth rods on all the axes, even the Z. The X and the Y are necessary for the spans involved. The over sized Z helps reduce/eliminate Z-wobble.

May 500mm extrusion machine:

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

But a basic BOM:
(10) HFS5-2020-xxx extrusions
(100) HNTA5-4
(100) M4x14
(100) M4 Flat washers
(100) M4 lock washers
(~40) M3x20
(~25) M3x10
(~25)M3 Nuts
(~25) M3 Washers
(5) M10x1m smooth rods
(5) stepper motors
(2) pulleys, preferably GT2-36 and accompanying belts (2@1200mm)
(12) bearings (LM10UU/10mm press bearings/some combination of the two)
(2) leadscrews, 400mm each
(4) nuts for leadscrews
(2) springs to fit leadscrews

But this BOM doesn't include the Y-axis single-point attachment component or the X-carriage or the extruder.

I'll get a full BOM worked up this weekend.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login