Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How much filament does it take?

Posted by 6of1 
How much filament does it take?
October 07, 2012 03:04AM
Wasn't sure where to post this question (open to suggestions). If there is a webpage that has this info, I haven't found it yet.

I'm interested in knowing how much filament the different printers take to print (by weight I guess). like the Prusa i2 & i3, Mendel90 to name a few. This data is somewhere hiding from me I know it. I ask b/c a friend came by today and was amazed by my Prusa i2 and all silly trinkets I have printed (and my failed print box). As expected he asked a question I couldn't answer "How much of that plastic stuff does it take to print another?". I think he wants one, lol..
Re: How much filament does it take?
October 07, 2012 06:37AM
Prusa I2 and Mendel90 take about 0.5Kg.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 26, 2012 01:22PM
I weighed my RepRapPro Mendel printed parts when I received my kit. I measured 0.584 Kg.
October 27, 2012 05:57PM
My Makerfarm linear prusa kit printed parts weighed 382grams. 60 grams for the Gregs extruder parts.
January 14, 2013 01:25PM
On another note, Throwing my answer in....

If were talking about all of the little prints, Obviously every one is different.

I find opening the .GCODE file slicer makes in ReplicatorG and scrolling to the bottom gives you its required filament. So i usually know how much a print is going to take. Great for when i'm near the end of a colour!

Tom
November 29, 2014 09:45PM
In fact, we can't really answer this question because everybody does print part differntly...
I mean some will set two perimeter, other 3-4 to make part more robust.
Some will go fo 100% infill to be sure part will last longer(they will, but....) other prefer 35% infill.
Personnaly, I make my reprap parts with a 40% to 45% infill(100% for extruder gear and groove mount) with 3 perimeter.
I do them with my E3D V6 All alu with 0.4mm nozzle at a 0.2mm layer height and a speed of 85mm/s to 120mm/s.
The resulting parts I mesured weight for you was 437g of ABS and 512g of PLA. (I am currently woring on a polycarbonate prusa i3 that is closely done, part are lighter than i actually tought they would be wich is 426g).
Hope I answered your question.
December 04, 2014 09:33PM
Ahhh doesn't that just take you back to the early days of MP3 smiling smiley 50 songs on a single floppy disk....

Many of the slicing programs report a estimate of meters of filament. convert that by the number of meters on your full roll.
December 05, 2014 04:49AM
In fact, It's ida the same thing ;-)
But the pont here is the mesured(real net weight) and not the estimated(raw calculated weight).
But those slicer(slic3r, cura(my favourite for the moment with kisslicer) give it to you in gramm too.
But the real problem here is that abs is lighter than pla, so it wont give you an accurate number, ad actually, 3 gramm per meter is still a rought estimate too.
You see where I am going, yes, this thread could be never closes and we could debate a lot of thing.
What are we reprapers really, in fact, we have good print, high rez print, solid print, and super fast print in atter of tweaing every detaills.
But after all, a reprap(and about any 3d printer) will never be perfect, because all the thing we know from here are rought estimate ;-)
Have a nice day!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login