Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lost PLA Metal Casting Documentary

Posted by 3DTOPO 
Lost PLA Metal Casting Documentary
May 06, 2013 11:12PM
We recently published a complete documentary of the process I use to transform a 3D printed PLA part to a machine ready aluminum alloy casting:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Re: Lost PLA Metal Casting Documentary
June 06, 2013 04:43PM
I recently watch your video on Lost PLA casting. It was very exciting! I am new to both 3D printing and metal casting, however, I have a desire to do both and I am willing to learn. What are the tolerances produced by your PLA printing to final casting? For instance, I am interested in casting some tools: wrenches mostly. If I were print a 1/2 inch wrench how accurate would the 1/2 be in the final cast product?
June 17, 2013 10:35PM
I watched the short version. That was cool. You made the CNC machine also? What do you plan on doing with it?
January 11, 2015 11:58PM
3DTOPO,
Thanks so much for your video. I recognize that video was a lot of effort and I've been looking for something like this to get me started. You mentioned reading an intro book in your video. Any suggestions on books worth reading would be appreciated.
Thanks again
January 12, 2015 12:05AM
One of the most complete and trusted that I know of is the US NAVY Foundry Manual:

Online free here:

[www.hnsa.org]

You can buy it print from Amazon. I am sure there are many "backyard casting" books on Amazon too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login