Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

May be the wrong place but i need help

Posted by bastien454 
May be the wrong place but i need help
January 03, 2011 12:23AM
Im planning to make a mold and castings of an item i designed ive got that i need or should make a silicon mold but i dont know what is the best stuff to make the product out of. I know rtv rubber and ive looked around and im just not sure which would be best for my stuff. I want it to be a pourable easy to use rubber but when its done curing i want it to be like a hard plastic almost like a lighter or pen tube something along those lines.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Re: May be the wrong place but i need help
January 07, 2011 09:38AM
Hello,

Do you really need to pour it? if not you have many other options like Sugru and Polymorph

If you really need to pour it then resins (epoxy / Polyester) would work.

Whatever you need do look at polymorph as it's great stuff, easy to use and as strong as Nylon.

Good Luck

Rich

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 07, 2011 09:39AM
January 07, 2011 11:18PM
That polymorph is interesting. Ideally the final product would probly just be injection molded. Uh for now i went and bought a crappy diy mold kit for 30 bucks and it kind of worked. A few flaws as its my first venture into molding. The end product it made was a bit to tough. Its a bit harder of a plastic than i wanted. Problem with polymorph is that my product would probly be in close contact with heat. I suppose it would work for a prototype to see if anyone will give me money to mass produce. Anyways enough of my high hopes smiling smiley i appreciate the input and will look into maybe using it as I assume id be easier to sand and finish (gotta put a big hole in the middle which doesnt seem to play well with home casting/molding).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login