Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teacup firmware configuration for Arduino Mega with RAMPS 1.3

Posted by modmaker 
Teacup firmware configuration for Arduino Mega with RAMPS 1.3
August 11, 2011 08:22AM
Hi all,

I might have duplicated someone else's effort, but I couldn't find it at the obvious places. To prevent others from running in the same problems as I did, I decided to share my experience.

My Prusa was built with an Arduino mega 1280 controller and a RAMPS v1.3 shield. The Pololu stepper controllers are replaced by a cheap but more powerfull China TB6560 based board.

For the software I choose Repsnapper in combination with Teacup firmware. First I started with Repsnapper under Windows but that wouldn't work and from the information found on the web it looked a dead end, so I choose to use the Linux port. The first Linux system I tried to build Repsnapper on was a Centos 5 VM, but that failed because I couldn't get the proper toolchain installed. At the end I created an Ubuntu 10.4 VM, and thats when everything started working and I was up and running in a breeze.
At first I used the Arduino IDE, but when I started making modifications to the software the IDE was acting weird. So I ended up using the old and reliable AVR GCC toolchain from the command line and found no toolchain problems since.

Once I was able to build and run the Teacup firmware, I soon discovered that the RAMPS configuration provided didn't work with the (v1.3) board I had. After I got the configuration right I was able to move X, Y, Z and E as expected. A problem that remained was the analog signal from the thermistor. Although I was sure the connection was ok, the software did not read the configured input. This proved to be a software problem and an easy workaround was found.

My patches are in a local git repository, should I myself create a branch on GitHub ? Or is there some central authority who controls and reviews submissions ?

--- Bas
Re: Teacup firmware configuration for Arduino Mega with RAMPS 1.3
August 11, 2011 11:00PM
clean up the patches in a local branch, push to your github fork and send me a pull request smiling smiley

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
August 12, 2011 08:40AM
ok, will do a.s.a.p..

Currently I've a separate config file (config.ramps13.h) for my ramps port because I'm not sure whether the old one is used. Do you want me to keep the separate file or shall I replace the config.ramps.h ?
August 12, 2011 09:00AM
rename the config.ramps.h to config.ramps1.2.h or something (hint: use git mv so the rename hits the repository) and add your config.ramps1.3.h

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
I have the same problem with the thermistor. I am using replicatorG and everything works fine on the Ramps 1.3 board but the thermistor is bouncing around. How did you fix this?
August 29, 2011 04:51PM
Del Jackson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have the same problem with the thermistor. I am
> using replicatorG and everything works fine on the
> Ramps 1.3 board but the thermistor is bouncing
> around. How did you fix this?

In my case there was no ' bouncing around'. The wrong channel was read and that was what I fixed.
August 29, 2011 05:01PM
I just pushed another number of patches to my local github repository.
The most important patches fix the dda code and will make ACCELERATION_RAMPING work properly over all axes.

As I've only tested with my configuration, some backporting to other configurations may be necessary...

--- Bas
February 21, 2012 04:34PM
modmaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A problem that remained was the analog signal from
> the thermistor. Although I was sure the connection
> was ok, the software did not read the configured
> input. This proved to be a software problem and an
> easy workaround was found.

any chance of getting a patch for just this fix? I'm finding the same problem exists on Sprinter atm..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login