Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 firmware - CNC and 3d printer

Posted by Mezeq79 
Ramps 1.4 firmware - CNC and 3d printer
February 13, 2016 11:20AM
Hello, my name is Mariano.

Im planning to built a Prusa i3 all steel and add a dremel to mill and drill PCBs using same hardware.
Electronics will be Ramps 1.4 kit and searching about firmware and software in forums i noticed that firmware has to be reloaded every time i want to change from CNC mill to 3d printer.

Is there any solution to load an unique firmware version to control 3d (heat bed, extruder, resistor and thermistor, endstops) and CNC disabling them?

Thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2016 02:44PM by Mezeq79.
Re: Ramps 1.4 firmware - CNC and 3d printer
March 22, 2016 01:28PM
Not entirely sure what you mean, but I think you're asking if there is a way to have both the CNC logic and 3D printer logic on the same Ramps 1.4 board and switch between the two? It really depends on what exactly the differences are but wouldn't it just be easier to re-flash the controller with the firmware when you go back and forth?
Re: Ramps 1.4 firmware - CNC and 3d printer
April 27, 2016 12:07PM
I am working with some guys on a MarlinKimbra version with full support for 8bit laser engraving.
The firmware is constantly being worked on and upgraded - although with the main aim of using it for a dedicated laser machine.
However once is up and running the plan is to move it into the main branch along with other requested features.
You can check my threads in the laser secetion for updates.
The problem with a mixed mode system is that you not only need totally different settings for printing and lasering but also that the hardware involved needs to be addressed somehow.
One simple workaround with Kimbra could be to setup the laser like usual with the first extruder but to simply add a switch to shut off the laser power supply when printing.
Of course you would still face the issue of the heavier mass with the dremel and the need for differen speed profiles.
But if in doubt those can set in the gcode when the EEPROM support is enabled.
As an alternative you could try to set the printing stuff up on the second extruder if the first approach does not work, but then you would be limited to just 2 extruders, not sure if that is enough for you....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login