Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help adding push button input to jog/ retract extruder for RAMPS

Posted by alan richard 
Help adding push button input to jog/ retract extruder for RAMPS
March 04, 2015 08:45PM
I'm sure some of you clever folks could do this in your sleep. . .

As the title says; I would like to include 2 buttons to forward and reverse the extruder motor.

This would be used for loading filament, not printing.

I sort-of know the G code commands I need to send. I think I can figure out defining a pair of pins.

I'm not quite sure;

What pins are free for RAMPS EFB set-up to use and where to access them on the board.
Where in Marlin I would need to put an 'IF'-'THEN' type statement and its proper syntax
What files I need to modify - pins/ config

Maybe this should go in the RAMPS thread. I have searched for similar posts but not found any.

I know I can do this jog/ retract thru the LCD controller.
(My LCD is in one corner of my cube shaped printer and my Bowden extruder drive is in the opposite. Its a 'race against time' between setting up 'prepare-menu-move axis-1mm-extruder' then going round the back and feeding in the filament while feeling around for the LCD encoder before the LCD menu reverts to the status screen!)

I could add an LCD menu shortcut to move extruder, or I could increase the delay before the Status screen reverts but it would be nice for me if there were a couple of buttons close to the extruder motor I could use.

Has anyone done similar or any suggestions?

(. . . and if that button could accelerate the speed the longer it was pressed - that would be nice, but not essential)

Hope you can help.

-Alan
Re: Help adding push button input to jog/ retract extruder for RAMPS
March 04, 2015 10:21PM
You might be able to do an abbreviated version of this.
Re: Help adding push button input to jog/ retract extruder for RAMPS
March 06, 2015 12:08PM
Thanks for that.

Interesting but a bit more complex than I need it.

a
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login