Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

teacup: y axis periodically looses steps at defined positions in upper layers

Posted by mindfab 
teacup: y axis periodically looses steps at defined positions in upper layers
March 22, 2012 08:09AM
Hi,

I hit a very strange issue:

When I print for example the 0.5mm calib. cube, the first layer is put in correct dimensions. However, as soon as my printer steps to the second layer, my y axis seems to loose steps at the same position all the time. This looks like a very short slow down of my y-axis movement when going from bottom to top, near the bottom, and another slowdown will occur when it goes from top to bottom, but then near the top. The result is that the topmost wall sits perfect, the bottom wall is shifted by around 1-2mm to top, but only for second and higher layers. The left and right wall has a blob at the position where the movement slows down for a very short moment.

The gcode that Im using is correct, I verified that several ways. So it seem to be related to firmware and or a communication problem between my host (ReplicatorG,0034-Beta) and teacup(latest, git). My current guess is that I made something stupid and I forgot about that.
However there might be also an issue with acceleration code and axis feedrates, which causes overflows. Or the communication looses commands due to full communication queues - is that possible? For example, does anybody know if I have to set okafterresend to true?

I have also uploaded a few images describing my problem ...

[fotoalbum.gmx.net]

Any ideas somehow related are welcome...

Cheers,
Re: teacup: y axis periodically looses steps at defined positions in upper layers
March 22, 2012 01:01PM
I found the problem... and its neither RepG nor teacup firmware... it was a hardware defect, my y axis drive pulley was a bit loose...

The reason why I suspected firmware or host is that I have replaced both a few days ago, however, as I already mentioned, I was unable to remember when it first occured. Hopefully this post might help other Reprappers when hitting strange problems.

Cheers,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login