Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin Firmware "cold extrusion prevented" and other Problems

Posted by largecamel 
Marlin Firmware "cold extrusion prevented" and other Problems
January 12, 2012 05:00PM
Hey

I vaguely remember reading about some of these issues somewhere on here, but hmm now I can't find it.

I recently uploaded the Marlin firmware to my Gen 6 and I'm left with a few issues. I've printed successfully using Sprinter/Slic3r/pronterface, so hardware/wiring/Gcode are most likely not the problem.

1) Where in the config can I eliminate the waiting before printing? I assume this is the stabilize the nozzle temperature, but it makes calibrating a real pain.

2) Is it possible to eliminate, or adjust, "the cold extrusion prevented" block on manually extruding fil using pronterface? With my setup it almost completely prevents me from manually extruding. What am I missing here?

3) Finally, possibly related the the min temp issue above, why is the extruder not extruding while printing? Did anyone else have this problem?

Thanks Guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 05:01PM by largecamel.
Re: Marlin Firmware "cold extrusion prevented" and other Problems
January 13, 2012 09:42AM
Ok after a night's sleep I noticed the line in the marlin configuration:

//this prevents dangerous Extruder moves, i.e. if the temperature is under the limit
//can be software-disabled for whatever purposes by
#define PREVENT_DANGEROUS_EXTRUDE
#define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 190

I guess the firmware default settings are for ABS as this is way too hot for PLA. I changed lowered the min temp to 170 and we're in business!

Now, about that annoying wait before the printer starts printing thing - Where is the code for this and how can I remove it?
January 13, 2012 09:50AM
Activate Dimension in Skeinforge/SFACT.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 13, 2012 02:06PM
Bah, I've switched to Slic3r. It's a lot better than Skeinforge IMO. I'm pretty sure the delay before start of print thing is a cmd somewhere in the Marlin firmware. I could be wrong about this though.
January 23, 2012 03:46PM
Isn't it the wait for reaching temperature ? In slic3r it wait for me to reach the temp define in the temperature case to print, in sfact, or skeinforge, it's in chamber, if it's activate it will wait to reach the temp.
January 24, 2012 12:28AM
DO NOT comment this out. I just learned that if you comment this out your printer will no longer start printing when you reach temp. The best thing to do here is just change the seconds.

#define TEMP_RESIDENCY_TIME 30 // (seconds) Just change the seconds if you want the wait to be shorter or longer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 07:56AM by Axim2012.
January 24, 2012 04:23AM
You probably don't want to start as soon as the hot end gets to the target temperature. You need to give time for it to expand, otherwise the height varies during the first layer. I wait 1-2 minutes after the bed and nozzle have got to the target for everything to settle down.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 05, 2012 07:17PM
In Slic3r, to have manual control over the temperature, set Temperature = 0 in "Printer and Filament" settings. You can then set the temperature you want from Pronterface or whatever software you are using - the GCode produced will not attempt to control the temperature. This will not stop the "cold extrusion prevented", which should be set appropriately in Marlin as outlined above.
March 08, 2012 09:25AM
I just switched from Sprinter to Marlin this morning and while I have everything configured the same, I'm also running into a problem with cold extrusion, except mine happens mid print. Right now, first three layers print at 190 (PLA), and then dips to 180, but I also have my fan set to kick on at the third layer. Instantly the hot end starts dipping (obviously) and it does a lot of start and stop extruding. Turned around to see the console and it was bumping in and out of hot enough / too cold. I ran the same setup with Sprinter as far as temps / fan / layer count without too much of a problem.

Thoughts on best fix? Drop the EXTRUDE_MINTEMP to 150? Comment out the line completely? I'd like to keep the fan settings as they are because I found an immense increase in overhang performance, of which there is a bit in this print I'm trying.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

JW
March 08, 2012 09:36AM
Insulate your hot end so the fan doesn't cool it so much. Otherwise you risk the extruder jamming anyway.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 26, 2012 10:28AM
Hi, I have the same mintemp issue and wantto set my own mintemp, i follow the tutorial on this site http://the3dprinter.blogspot.com/2012/02/durbie-prusa-mendel-calibration.html] and after i define the mintemp number that i want in configuratio.h , then when I want to verify/compile, an error message that i dont understand shows up sad smiley
any help on this? thanks in advance!
Attachments:
open | download - Capture.JPG (107.4 KB)
March 05, 2013 06:35PM
To disable the "cold extrusion prevention" sending M302 will do it. It will revert when the printer is reset. Better than mucking with firmware when calibrating. I think it's a pretty recent addition to the firmware.
August 17, 2014 01:30AM
smiling smiley works good Thanks.
February 07, 2016 01:08PM
I finished wiring up all the axes and Z limit switch. I figured I would try to move the motors again using the M302 to suppress the cold extrusion error. No luck as the override won't override.

Connecting...
start
Printer is now online.
echo: External Reset
Marlin: 1.0.0 RC2
echo: Last Updated: 2012-07-17 | Author: Sublime
echo: Free Memory: 13861  PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Using Default settings:
Error:0
[ERROR] Error:0

: Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)
[ERROR] Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)

>>> M302
SENDING:M302
SENDING:M84
Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)
Extruding 5.000000mm of filament.
Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)
Reversing 5.000000mm of filament.
>>> M999
SENDING:M999
Resend:1
Error:0
[ERROR] Error:0

: Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)
[ERROR] Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)

Extruding 5.000000mm of filament.
February 07, 2016 03:09PM
Min temp error has nothing to do with cold extrusions.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
February 25, 2017 05:00PM
Thanks bstory2001, your suggestion solved my problem!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login