Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ReplicatorG + Marlin - extruder problem

Posted by bassman 
ReplicatorG + Marlin - extruder problem
November 10, 2011 03:35PM
Hi, I am in the final stages of building a Mendel Prusa with Arduino 1280, RAMPS 1.2, Marlin and RepG. I have been trying to test the extruder to make sure it is working OK and to calibrate it but I can't find how to persuade it to work at all. I tried putting a figure in the 'extruder speed' box in RepG and hitting the 'forward' button but nothing happens. I have set up the Marlin firmware with its default RAMPS 1.2 config, modified a bit to reflect the calibration of the main axes. I'm just trying to find a way to make the extruder motor run without having to write g-code for it - is it possible or am I doing something wrong - maybe there is another reconfiguration of Marlin I have missed? Thanks..
Re: ReplicatorG + Marlin - extruder problem
November 10, 2011 06:21PM
You have run into a software bug in Replicatorg. I have fixed this in trunk, and my fix should make it into the next released version. In the meantime, another, more immediately available fix is to substitute your RepRap.xml file with one one found in here: [www.thingiverse.com]

Basically, you need to get rid of the "stepper_axis" variable in the toolhead definition for your machine.

Also, I assume you had to change Marlin's baud rate to 115200 in order to get it to communicate with Replicatorg, right?
November 11, 2011 04:06AM
Thanks Pointedstick, I thought I had substituted the Reprap.xml - maybe I put it in the wrong place... The machine comes up as 'Teacup' in RepG - is that right? Do I understand driving the extruder right from RepG - should I be able to just put a figure in the 'extruder speed' box and hit 'forward and then see the motor run?
November 11, 2011 06:52AM
Copied RepRap.xml across again and now I have extruder drive - however, from RepG the drive is not continuous... the motor is pulsing on an off at about 1 second intervals. Drive speed set to 20 in RepG.
November 11, 2011 11:37AM
Yeah, that happens to me too when using the workaround. Extruder control should function normally (i.e. continuously) with the next version of Replicatorg.
November 11, 2011 12:08PM
I'm getting error messages in ReplicatorG all the time it is connected to the machine. The red messages say 'Unknown: x:0.00y:0.00z:0.00e:0.00' with figures for whatever position each axis is at. I don't know whether this is a problem or not but it makes a mess of the messages pane. Do you get the same messages?

Thanks, Ian
November 11, 2011 02:31PM
I get the same but it doesn't seem to affect functionality at all. Hasn't been very high on my priority list to investigate since it's not really causing any pain.
February 18, 2012 10:05PM
Pointedstick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, that happens to me too when using the
> workaround. Extruder control should function
> normally (i.e. continuously) with the next version
> of Replicatorg.

I'm getting the same symptom, it's jerky in the control panel.

Does this affect printing, or just the control panel?
February 19, 2012 01:35AM
Just gave it a shot. Can't get the extruder to work at all while printing with repg. Great.
February 19, 2012 02:55AM
Pronterface is really the "matched" sender for marlin, and it's a lot more straightforward than RepG. I only use RepG for orienting .stl files.

www.Fablicator.com
September 24, 2012 03:55PM
If anyone stumbles on this old post again, try Repetier Host. Its like a mix of Pronterface and ReplicatorG.

It doesnt envy anything from the new (and closed source) Makeware
October 21, 2012 10:07PM
So I should assume the Extruder controls are not operational? How does people using ReplicatorG test their extruder to see if it is hot enough? Will try Repetier just for curiosity but already know ReplicatorG too well.
October 24, 2012 08:53PM
I just updated my system to 37 and I am having the same issue with my mendel wit the latest sprinter firmware. i do not see any Gcode being sent to the printer from the manual controls for extruding. it still prints just fine. I do miss the 2D screen which would follow the print job and the estimations well that math sux. but it does work for all the other manual adjustments. I do need the extruder to work though to charge my extruder with pla before I start a job.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login