Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with old 3D printer

Posted by theblindsaint 
Help with old 3D printer
June 28, 2017 02:55AM
I recently came across an old 3d printer, the sky-maker 800, and have been having trouble getting it to work.

The drivers included only run on a win 7 machine (I've tried compatibility mode to no avail). But when I actually run the drivers and software on a win 7 machine the printing software refuses to even show up.

The software in question is replicator 6.2 which i really am hoping to switch over to repetiore but I've been told I can't do it without the old drivers?
Re: Help with old 3D printer
June 28, 2017 03:17AM
I don't see a reason why you can't use Arduino2560/Ramps1.4 Combo as controller and use Marlin/ Printrun as software.
June 28, 2017 03:24AM
Are there instructions I could look up for then? I'm a complete noob when i t comes to this. The only reason I was given this printer was cause I know cadding.
June 28, 2017 04:06AM
Also when I open up the device manager it shows that the printer has an Adrino Uno not 2560? Also is there anyway to check the motherboard short of actually ripping the 3d printer apart?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 04:14AM by theblindsaint.
June 28, 2017 04:45AM
get the os to tell your the ID of the usb device

Google the VID and PID see if it says anything.

but I would guess its a custom board probably UNO based... to old for anything other than teacup firmware thesedays

o_lampe is suggesting you just rip out the current controller and replace it with a ramps. then you can run any off the current firmwares.
Main issue will be just re wiring it...
June 28, 2017 09:50PM
The VID/PID shows that the board is an, Arduino SA Uno (CDC ACM). This board is too old for new firmware?
June 29, 2017 03:16AM

This board is too old for new firmware?

The flash-memory of an UNO is too small for newer, feature rich firmware. Mega/Ramps Combo with LCD and 5 suitable stepper drivers is dirt cheap and much easier for us to guide you through.
June 29, 2017 03:39AM
I'm gonna bite the bullet and go ahead with it then. What are some resources or guides I could follow to do this? I'm a complete noob when it comes to building 3d printers themselves only know how to use them
June 30, 2017 03:33AM
I think we should close discussion here and go on at your new thread in "General".
June 30, 2017 10:39PM
thanks for the help. gonna rip apart the printer then post pictures on general for suggestions
(how do I close a discussion? dont seem to find the button)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 10:40PM by theblindsaint.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login