Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using joystick to control stepper motors on marlin firmware

Posted by guilhermearaujo 
Using joystick to control stepper motors on marlin firmware
February 18, 2016 08:25AM
Hi, Reprappers

Im building a rework station with arduino mega2560 + ramps 1.4 using marlin firmware. I have a problem, i want to use arduino joystick to control stepper motors and i don't find anywhere how to use joystick with marlin firmware, i only found about lcd + encoder, but i really want to try arduino joystick to control the x,y-axis.
Does anyone have experience with this?
Re: Using joystick to control stepper motors on marlin firmware
February 20, 2016 08:42AM
I don't know, whether the firmware does have that kind of option, but if not there are two way to implement something like that. Either you create a independent unit, which uses relative move commands to control your marlin controller, or you integrate a "joystick-analog-reading to move" function in the firmware itself, by using this example: [www.arduino.cc].
February 25, 2016 07:18AM
Hi 3denthusiast, Thank for reply. Im being thinking and maybe i will use ps3 ou xbox controller to control the stepper motors because i need more buttons to program speed, displacement.... The problem is how i will write this program, im newbie to program. I´m searching on the internet something about how to write this program to control stepper motors with xbox ou ps3 controller, but so far i not found anything.
Can you help me?

regards,
Guilherme
February 25, 2016 11:05PM
guilhermearaujo
Hi, Reprappers

Im building a rework station with arduino mega2560 + ramps 1.4 using marlin firmware. I have a problem, i want to use arduino joystick to control stepper motors and i don't find anywhere how to use joystick with marlin firmware, i only found about lcd + encoder, but i really want to try arduino joystick to control the x,y-axis.
Does anyone have experience with this?

What kind of rework station is this? Marlin is a highly optimized firmware designed to control 3D-Printers. Unless there is a lot of similarity to what you are doing, it is probably the wrong approach.

With that said, you could write a 5 or 10 line C routine that just looked at the Joy Stick that returned a value similar to a push button on the LCD Panel being pressed. If the Joy Stick was pressed hard one way, it would pretend to be a button and to be pressed. If it was pressed hard the other way, it could pretend to be a different button on the LCD Panel and say it was pressed.

If you are new to programming, you need to realize Marlin is an extremely complex piece of firmware. And firmware is a difficult place to write and debug software.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2016 11:07PM by Roxy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login