Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet on ethernet - need help

Posted by mhackney 
Duet on ethernet - need help
January 04, 2016 02:12PM
I have 3 Duets - two .8.5 and two .6 versions all running dc42's latest 1.09o-dc42 release. All three of these machines are on my wireless WIFI network each through a TP-LINK WR702N Nano Router (each has it's own). This has all been working pretty well except that the .8.5 Duet goes through phases of not staying connected and really slow file uploads. It has been driving me crazy and I've updated the nano's firmware and even swapped two of the nanos and the problem follows the Duet .8.5. When I lose connection, I still have a good connection to the nano web interface but I can't even ping the Duet. So, rather than continue to beat my head against the wall, I am going to put this Duet on a wired ethernet connection to see how that works. But, I can't seem to get it configured properly.

I'm on a Mac (latest OSX El Capitan). I have the Duet's MAC address and static IP address in config.g and they are the same as when running wifi. The subnet mask is the same also. Gateway is "0" (prior it was the IP address of the nano router).

I've tried a direct connect into the Mac and I've also tried using an ethernet switch and I haven't been able to connect to the Duet. I must be missing something simple.

thanks,
Michael

[sublimelayers.blogspot.com]

A strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints [forum.seemecnc.com]
Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts [forum.seemecnc.com]

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
Re: Duet on ethernet - need help
January 04, 2016 04:46PM
A few suggestions:

- Have you configured the Duets to have different MAC addresses in config.g?
- Do you have any lights on the Ethernet socket when you plug the cable in?
- Are you able to ping the Duet?
- Are you sure that the router doesn't still think that IP address of the 0.8.5 is on the wireless LAN rather than the wired LAN?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 04, 2016 04:51PM
Thanks David.

Yes, the duets have unique MAC addresses.
Yes, the et sockets on both ends go through what looks to be normal connection statuses.
No. I also tried reconfiguring to use dynamic IP addresses and I can't find the Duet's IP using standard tools for locating IPs
Good suggestion, I did check this as well and rebooted the router to be sure.

I've done some more research and testing and still unsure what's going on. I have tried several cables "just in case" too.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 04, 2016 05:18PM
Ok, I may have a solution but can't test until after this print is done.

Basically, my Mac is on WIFI. It has it's ethernet enabled and assigns itself an IP address like 169.254.170.57. I think I need to use a static IP address in the 169.254.170 range and that should do it. I'll report back when I check for sure. When I tried dynamic IP assignment on Duet I could not find it's assigned IP address.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 04, 2016 05:32PM
Make sure you have the Gateway address set correctly in config.g (M554)

When I had mine set for DHCP (all zeros for network IP) I found my Duet 0.8.5 would not acquire an IP address via DHCP, as soon as I put in a correct Gateway address it worked.

If you connect the USB and issue M552 through pronterface or similar terminal, it will tell you the assigned IP. Without the Gateway properly set it always came back 0.0.0.0, I assumed that the DHCP would automatically setup the gateway address like on my PC/Mac but apparently it does not.
January 04, 2016 05:39PM
Thanks WZ9V. With a direct ethernet attach to the Mac and a static IP address (M552), I am not sure what the gateway address would be.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 04, 2016 10:06PM
Check what the gateway is on the Mac it should be the same. I think you can get that from the terminal with either ipconfig or ifconfig
January 05, 2016 03:23AM
mhackney
Thanks WZ9V. With a direct ethernet attach to the Mac and a static IP address (M552), I am not sure what the gateway address would be.

For a direct connect I don't think the gateway address matters, but if in doubt you could try the IP address of the Mac.

Have you tried changing the MAC address of the Duet 0.8.5 again, just in case the router doesn't like it for some reason?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2016 03:24AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 05, 2016 08:45AM
Thanks gents. I didn't think the gateway mattered with a static IP. I have not had a chance to test my hypothesis above, hopefully today. I'll try the MAC address change too.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 05, 2016 09:48AM
Well. I'm at a complete loss.

My MAC has a self assigned IP of 169.254.170.57 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. I entered this into config.g:

M540 P0xBE:0xEF:0xDE:0xAD:0xFE:0xAA ; MAC Address
M552 P169.254.170.100 ; IP address (0 = use DHCP)
M554 P0 ; Gateway
M553 P255.255.0.0 ; Netmask

This did not work. So I tried entering the Mac's IP for Gateway:

M540 P0xBE:0xEF:0xDE:0xAD:0xFE:0xAA ; MAC Address
;*** Adjust the IP address and gateway in the following 2 lines to suit your network
M552 P169.254.170.100 ; IP address (0 = use DHCP)
M554 P169.254.170.57 ; Gateway

This did not work. So I then did both of the above in order but changed the MAC address to :0xBB (no conflict with any devices on my network). And again, no connection.

So then I pulled out a MacBook and tried it with that. It has a different self-assigned IP so I adjusted the Duet IP accordingly and tried the above combinations, nothing worked. I attempted this with 2 different ethernet cables, both known to be good. There is no router between, plugged directly into the MAC's port. I have a Windows 10 laptop I am trying now.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 05, 2016 10:16AM
I'm about ready to give up. I'm a duck out of water with Windows and Windows 10. I did some googling and tried a few things I read but could not connect to the Duet with a direct connect from the laptop to Duet.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 05, 2016 11:16AM
Ok, back to OSX....

I hooked up a USB able to the Duet and launched Pronerface so I can "see" what's going on.

I then grabbed a cup of coffee, took a deep breath and started from scratch thinking through what I know from decades of network work.

I reconfigured my config.g to:

M552 P169.254.170.58 ; IP address (0 = use DHCP)
M554 P0.0.0.0 ; Gateway

The Mac's IP is 169.254.170.57 with the same net mask. I did use the adjusted new MAC address too.

I then rebooted duet, connected pronterface and verified the above info via the command line in PF. Then I attempted to connect to the web server at the above IP and guess what, it worked. It was a little odd in that I connected to the server quickly but the connect button gave an error the first time, the second time it asked for my password (configured for the Duet) twice and the third time was the charm. I can now run with a direct connect ethernet so I can see if it is more stable than what I was seeing on wifi.

Meanwhile, another Duet .8.5 is scheduled to arrive today for a new Metal Max delta I'm putting together. So I'll have another to compare with.

Thanks for the suggestions, etc.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 05, 2016 11:25AM
Well, that's a bummer. Not even 10 minutes and I got my first disconnection with wired ethernet.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 05, 2016 12:46PM
Here is the error I get when it disconnects. This is the same issue I had on wifi:

An AJAX error was reported, so the current session has been terminated.

Please check if your printer is still on and try to connect again.

Error reason: Not authorized

I wonder dose this have anything to do with having a password set for the Duet in the config.h file?

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 05, 2016 12:48PM
And I'm also getting:

An AJAX error was reported, so the current session has been terminated.

Please check if your printer is still on and try to connect again.

Error reason: SyntaxError: Unexpected token ]

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 05, 2016 12:48PM
Duplicate Post, removed content

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2016 12:50PM by mhackney.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 05, 2016 05:42PM
What firmware and web control version? I'd try the 1.09m firmware and web control 1.07 if you are not already on them.

I had some weird AJAX errors until I upgraded to 1.09m and 1.09o along with DWC 1.07

I haven't had problems with 1.09o but some have, 1.09m might be a better choice until DC pops out the p version.

As far as the network settings, I'd put

M552 P0.0.0.0 ; IP address (0 = use DHCP) or use a static address you are sure is not in the DHCP assignment pool

; make sure next two lines match the Mac
M553 P255.255.0.0 ; subnet mask
M554 P0.0.0.0 ; gateway, I think this one is especially important with DHCP not sure with static

If you are going to use a static IP I suggest looking at your routers DHCP table to see what is assigned, I'm wondering if you're hijacking something already in the DHCP assignment pool.

On my router I excluded addresses above 240 from DHCP assignment which gives me a few static IPs that I know won't be assigned by DHCP. I went with static IP because on my network the NetBIOS name won't resolve automatically.

My big struggle has been getting a decent calibration with my FSR setup. I'm convinced my Deltas FSR setup needs an exorcism.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2016 05:58PM by WZ9V.
January 05, 2016 06:05PM
I was running 1.09m and had disconnect issues. I then updated just the web server to DWC 1.07 and they still occurred. Currently, the above was done with 1.09o that has DWC 1.07 integrated. I've also tested with 1.09p alpha version.

I did pick static IPs that I know are not used. I have 18 devices on my network and I monitor them all. I know for a fact that there is no hijacking. I have also excluded IPs above 200 on my network, that's how I am confident they aren't being used. Also, when I connect to the Mac directly, I'm using a static IP that isn't even in the same space as my wifi network

What kind of issues are you having with the FSRs? I have them on all of my deltas and never had an issue with them or calibration.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 05, 2016 07:09PM
I believe that Ajax syntax error message has to do with either buffer starvation (which can happen in 1.09o not in 1.09m), or excessive cookie length. I had a similar error with 1.09o once when I was using the USB port for debugging. I put some fixes in 1.09p to address some but not all of the causes of buffer starvation that I identified. I am waiting on chrishamm to provide fixes for the remaining issues. Meanwhile, if you will be using the USB port as well as the web interface, I suggest you use 1.09m.

January 05, 2016 07:13PM
At the time, I did have the USB hooked up. I have since removed it and have not seen the: Error reason: SyntaxError: Unexpected token ]

message again. However, I am still seeing the Error reason: Not authorized

message. Any idea on what that is? I'm currently on the p-alpha release with this.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 05, 2016 07:13PM
and of course, as soon as I write the above I get one of those Error reason: SyntaxError: Unexpected token ] messages again.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 05, 2016 08:03PM
I've read about your success with the FSRs over on SeeMeCNC. I don't know what's going on with them. I get what I think are good numbers for the probe points, do a calibration and then one side is still higher than the other. The only time I've had this printer going well was after a manual calibration. I've checked the build for squareness and it looks square to me. I suspect I've got a bad combination of small things adding up to big problems. Others have this kit from Ultibots with FSRs and it works great.

Just need to spend some serious troubleshooting time without getting frustrated.

What browser are you using? I've had some weirdness with FireFox that comes and goes. Chrome seems to work a bit better, you might try Chrome to see if it makes a difference (assuming you have not already)

If I were not fighting with my printer I'd offer to try some stuff on my Mac.
January 05, 2016 08:10PM
I'm using Chrome primarily as I noticed flakiness with FF too.

I have FSRs on an Ultibot Kossel250 that I built, the SeeMeCNC Rostock Max, two kossels and a Lulzbot TAZ 4 Cartesian printer.

Which printer do you have and what mounting system? What about the endstop switches? Are they reproducible and affixed tightly?

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 05, 2016 10:11PM
I have one of the early Ultibots V-Slot 250 from last year when they still used RAMPS and V-Wheels. I upgraded to solid wheels and Smoothie. Now I'm trying the Duet 0.8.5
January 05, 2016 10:19PM
How do you have the FSRs mounted? I designed my own for the K250 as I did not like the design they had. I also needed more room in the base for a 24V power supply. Do you have an idea how far off one side is than the other? Is it always the same side?

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 06, 2016 03:42AM
mhackney, I suggest you revert to 1.09m. I was considering withdrawing 1.09o when I found that I had imported issues with the new output buffer code. The "Not authorised" message might possibly be caused by a bug fix I made to the code in that area in 1.09o so I will check the code again.

If with 1.09m you still have problems connecting to that Duet when the other two are OK, then perhaps there is a hardware fault on the Duet. I read recently of people having Ethernet connectivity problems with MKSBASE boards, because that board uses a ceramic resonator for the Ethernet timing instead of a crystal, so the frequency is not guaranteed to be precise enough. The Duet does use a crystal, but I guess the frequency might still be a little way out.

January 06, 2016 08:49AM
Thanks David, I'll revert back to "m" version and let you know later today (my time).

It looks like I'm actually having more issues with all of them, I didn't recognize it on the other 2 since I print primarily from the PanelDue. I use the web interface primarily for uploading. I'lll revert everything to the m version and try things out for a while.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 06, 2016 01:37PM
I'm using the stock square mounts and the stock bed holders. I've tried all kinds of combinations of the "sandwich" and etc. I've currently got them flipped over with the FSR on the flat side with the orange rubber spacer on top and cut so that it is centered within the FSR sensor circle.

I have your STL's from SeeMeCNC forum and I like your approach much better. On my current setup and Smoothie it would actually tilt the bed when probing because it probed in the area with the least support. With RepRap I could at least shift the outer probes to the areas that were better supported (between the towers) and move the tower probes inward to are that would cause the bed to lift on the other side. Overall I think my problem is lack of support for the bed since its just glass sitting on a heat spreader with a Kapton Heater attached to the bottom. Then that just sits on the three orange spacers. From top to bottom it looks like

Glass
Aluminum Heat Spreader
Kapton Heater
Orange rubber disk
FSR
Ultibot square mount on side of upper 2020 rail

I currently the mount flipped upside down with the FSR attached directly to the plastic part using Kapton double sided tape

mhackney

I have FSRs on an Ultibot Kossel250 that I built, the SeeMeCNC Rostock Max, two kossels and a Lulzbot TAZ 4 Cartesian printer.

Which printer do you have and what mounting system? What about the endstop switches? Are they reproducible and affixed tightly?
January 06, 2016 01:43PM
I think you are on the right track, the bed is moving in the Z plane when you probe between sensors. This can be a challenge with FSR probing. Have you tried slowing down your probe touch off speed? Or speeding it up a bit. These work on force and you might be in a zone where the bed moves before the force is transmitted to the sensor and slowing down or speeding up might do the trick. Also make sure all 3 are triggering with about the same force. I use the "tap test" - simply tap all over the bed with a finger trying to maintain consistent force. You should see at least 1 LED on the JohnSL board light with each tap.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
January 06, 2016 03:03PM
It's been a few hours since I migrated to the "m" version of the firmware. So far, no disconnects at all.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login