Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet and Dual Motors On Z Axis

Posted by ElmoC 
Duet and Dual Motors On Z Axis
December 13, 2015 03:47PM
Does the Duet support a mode where I can use the 5th motor drive (for a second extruder) as a second driver for the Z axis? The documentation I have been able to find all show a second motor connected via a tee to the one driver. I've never been a fan of this configuration and was hoping to use this other driver since it will not be used otherwise.
Re: Duet and Dual Motors On Z Axis
December 14, 2015 05:51AM
ElmoC
Does the Duet support a mode where I can use the 5th motor drive (for a second extruder) as a second driver for the Z axis? The documentation I have been able to find all show a second motor connected via a tee to the one driver. I've never been a fan of this configuration and was hoping to use this other driver since it will not be used otherwise.

Currently not. However, unless your Z motors are low current/high voltage types then there is no reason not to connect them both in series and drive them from one driver, as RepRapPro does in their Mendel and Huxley kits. If they are low current/high voltage types, connect them in parallel instead.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 14, 2015 06:24AM
dc42
ElmoC

Currently not. However, unless your Z motors are low current/high voltage types then there is no reason not to connect them both in series and drive them from one driver, as RepRapPro does in their Mendel and Huxley kits. If they are low current/high voltage types, connect them in parallel instead.

You said to connect the same type in both parallel and serial.
December 14, 2015 07:17AM
ElmoC
dc42
ElmoC

You said to connect the same type in both parallel and serial.

No I didn't, please re-read it, in particular the work "unless".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 07:18AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login