Advanced

Werid stepper motor behaviour on RAMPS in arduino

Posted by JedzieMiZmordy 
Werid stepper motor behaviour on RAMPS in arduino
December 04, 2015 06:35PM
Hello,

Following this tutorial:

[www.instructables.com]

I connected DVD stepper motor to RAMPS 1.4 on arduino with Marlin software with this settings:

//#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {80,80,4000,500}  // default steps per unit for Ultimaker

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {215.12,215.12,8034.69,196.52}

// #define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE          {300, 300, 5, 25}    // (mm/sec)

#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {100, 100, 2, 25}

// #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION      {3000,3000,100,10000}    // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {200,200,50,5000}

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          100    // X, Y, Z and E acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves

#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  100    // E acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

#define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION   100    // X, Y, Z acceleration in mm/s^2 for travel (non printing) moves

Here is video [vid.me] (hope sound is good for you) showing stepper behaviour when I press +1mm,-1mm,-1mm,-1mm,-1mm,-1mm,-1mm,+1mm,+1mm,+1mm,+1mm on Pronterface software.
Re: Werid stepper motor behaviour on RAMPS in arduino
December 05, 2015 01:55AM
At a guess...

The values you entered for DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {215.12,215.12,8034.69,196.52} are for a particular hardware micro stepping.

Ie under each pololu is 3 jumpers these set the micro stepping. The page says "1/16 microsteps" which is all 3 jumpers on for a standard A4988 Stepstick Driver Module. I suspect you have no jumpers installed (as no jumpers are supplied with the cheapest ramps)

See the colored jumpers in this image

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2015 02:08AM by Dust.
December 05, 2015 07:50AM
@Dust
Thank you for your help. Indeed I didn't put jumpers. Now It's moving better*. By better I mean that when I press 1mm+ it's moving more then 2mm I think. And stepper motor is loud, (high freq beep). Here you can see on the video.
[vid.me]

So:
1) Is this high freq beep okay with this motor or it's an adverse effect?
2) Calibrating motor for 1mm+ buttun should be done in configuration.h, and propably i should devide by 2 values?

Thank you for your time! Great forum.

PS "(as no jumpers are supplied with the cheapest ramps)" jumpers,cables,soldering iron etc should everybody have in thier homes.
PS2 Jesus Christ... Forgive me for the last second of the video, it's a part from background joke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2015 07:52AM by JedzieMiZmordy.
December 05, 2015 06:28PM
You probably need to turn down the current with the pot on the pololu driver to quieten it

NB use a non metal screw driver to do this. (cut up a tooth pick for a make shift wooden screw driver)

If you really want you can work out the required current and set it correctly see [reprap.org]

If movement is out by a factor of two, its normally the jumpers again, maybe a jumper is missing its metal insides?

Most people don't have jumpers anymore as everything is software settable these days. And they don’t have 12 jumpers, 1 or 2 maybe.
December 06, 2015 07:05AM
Dust
cut up a tooth pick for a make shift wooden screw driver

I like that one smiling smiley
Pragmatism is my second name winking smiley
Maybe also dip the tip in a drop of CA glue to harden it.
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login